Hyundai Accent Offered in a 2 or 3 door hatchback, or 4 door sedan ,this compact offers room to seat 4 people and excellent economy.

Timing Belt Snapped

Old 07-25-2009, 01:03 PM
Default Timing Belt Snapped

Hi all,

I have here an 01 gsi accent. The car broke down and I heard a snapping sounds..I had a feeling it was the timing belt. I took the cover off and it was snapped...which was odd b/c I had a shop replace it last year...looks like they didn't actually replace it!

Anyway, I know that theres a 5% chance that this motor is still alive. Should I start inspecting the motor for bent valves? I'm wondering if anyone has any insturctions or guides I can follow or review before I start taking apart everything. I would also like to know what exactly to look for to determine if the motor is toast from the broken timing belt.

Thank You everyone

Old 07-25-2009, 04:03 PM
Banned

The only way you're gonna know for sure if the motor is any good or not is to put a new belt on. It's also probably the easiest thing you can do. Many people replace the accessory belts on the outside of the motor, thinking they replaced the timing belt on the inside. I suspect this is your case.

If you did bend the valves, chance are you ruined the cam too, not to mention cracked some pistons or cylinders. It's probably a better idea to go out and get a whole another car, since your Accent wasn't worth the price of rebuilding the motor. Or another option is to get a junkyard motor for around $650. Consult car-part.com for motors in your area.

Old 07-25-2009, 09:39 PM
Super Moderator

If it was running when the belt broke then I'm almost positive you bent valves at the very least. Time to start looking for a new engine or at least a new head/cams

Old 07-25-2009, 10:13 PM

Thanks for the replies

The car was running when it snapped and it shut down the motor right after it snapped. I can possibly try to install a new belt without taking everything apart..if still no good, then it will need a new motor. The tranny is pretty much on it's last legs as well so if I don't find anything cheap, it looks like it wont be worth the money..even with free labour.

Old 08-04-2009, 07:28 PM

I would say get your reciepts and rip the shop a new one. If they replaced it it is their fault, you shouldn't have to pay for anything

Old 03-30-2011, 05:36 PM
Default litesong

Originally Posted by ddzc
Hi all,
I would also like to know what exactly to look for to determine if the motor is toast from the broken timing belt.
Thank You everyone
I've heard the new 2012 Accent will have a chain drive timing belt & should halt the many broken timing belt problems. Another reason to change timing belts on schedule is to restore good MPG to your older vehicle.

My old 1988 Ford Festiva (a Mazda engine in a Kia body) wasn't giving the excellent average mileage (45MPG) as it did in its first decade of service. My mechanic, while replacing a water pump(?), also replaced the timing belt. The Ford Festiva's MPG jumped up to its old standard.... even better? Taking a 400 mile trip through the mountains (with 11,000+feet of ups & downs) & lots of stops for photos, my Festiva gave 50.8 MPG. Yes, I still have my old Festiva (Kia is owned by Hyundai).

On three mountain day trips I drove my wife's 2008 Accent for 42 MPG will ascending & descending 5500 foot Chinook Pass near Mt. Rainier, 45MPG will ascending & descending a 1400 foot pass & 41MPG while climbing & descending 4000 & 3000 foot passes..... all from sea level.

The Accent will give excellent MPG, but you have to drive for the MPG.

Old 04-03-2011, 05:01 PM

I have a 200 accent. The timing belt broke while I was at a stop light. Of course I didn't know what the problem was and did the wrong thing and kept trying to start the engine. Later, I figured out the problem. The car had 11500 miles (out of warranty) and the dealer installed belt broke 5000 miles before the next scheduled replacement. I got lucky though. I put on a new belt and the car is still running great at 182000 after another self installed belt at 180000. I would put a new belt on and try to start it.