Hyundai Accent Offered in a 2 or 3 door hatchback, or 4 door sedan ,this compact offers room to seat 4 people and excellent economy.

Transmission shift and reverse problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 02:09 PM
Question Transmission shift and reverse problem

Hyundai Accent 2000:, I have been driving w/ the engine light on for a few months, the codes said exhaust leak & speed sensor maybe 2 months ago.
Last night while driving home after being out for about 20 minutes, the car stays in first till I let go of the gas then bumps into second (This is a Automatic Transmission).. I get home and reverse does not engage? So I am guessing the speed sensor, I am going to check the engine code again tomorrow, My mechanic skills are very limited two weeks ago I put in a new Alternator and the week before that a Garage changed my Timing belt and all belts.... So, I am reading about a "Pules Generator" also somehow being associated, should this if defective also appear in the code? Should I buy the sensor online or at a dealers? The Hyundai I own had a new engine put in which is a 1.6, normally my car would be a 1.5...Just checked the fluid level w/ engine warmed all seems fine

Thanks

Kevin

Kevin

Old 04-18-2010, 08:08 PM

There is an INPUT & OUTPUT pulse generator on the trans.. they is bought as a set, the connector has wiring and both sensors on it.

Be aware of long wire and short wire so you do not install sensors in wrong holes...

TSB for sensor code, need to inspect resistance on the sensor, if ok, install TCM update... If out of spec, replace generator set & install TCM update.

DESCRIPTION:

Some 2000-2002 ACCENT vehicles may experience the following conditions:
  • [*]

If the vehicle experiences the above symptoms:
  1. [*]
VEHICLES AFFECTED:
  • [*]
  • Using an ohmmeter, check the resistance between terminal No. 3 and No. 4 in the disconnected pulse generator male connector (black color).Resistance value:215-275W (at 20ðC or 68ðF)
    If the resistance is lower or higher than the specification, replace the pulse generator (P/N 45955-22700).If the resistance is within specification, go to Step 5.
  • Clean both ends of the disconnected pulse generator connectors with aerosol electrical contact cleaner.
  • Apply contact grease (P/N 00305-F0000-39, NYOGEL 760G), into all four terminal openings of the blue female connector until each terminal opening is completely filled with grease.
  • Reconnect the pulse generator connectors and reattach the connector to the bracket. Reinstall all removed components in the reverse order of removal.
Program --> 18. LC AT VSS NOISE IMPROVEMENT"

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

There is no DTC for exhaust leak,,, if the front pipe is broken, you will likely get a P-0133 slow response code for B1S1, there you will replace the front pipe so the front sensor will work correctly.. I like to install Ox program (#52 for the -0130 inactivity) to bring PCM up to date.

DESCRIPTION:
When diagnosing Code P0133 (Front Oxygen Sensor - Slow Response) on a 2000 -
2002 model year Accent, verify the integrity of the front exhaust pipe between the front
and rear oxygen sensors. A leak in the pipe can affect the ECM diagnostic logic for the front oxygen sensor.
DESCRIPTION:
Some 2000-2004 Accents with 1.5L SOHC and 1.6L DOHC engines may experience
the following symptoms:
• DTC P0130 (Oxygen Sensor Malfunction)
• DTC P0503 (Speed Sensor Malfunction)
• Reverse to Drive lurch while rolling backwards (On Automatic Transaxle equipped
vehicles only)
This bulletin describes the procedure for updating the Engine Control Module (ECM)
software to improve the above condition by using the Hi-Scan Pro.
VEHICLES AFFECTED:
• Model: 2000-2004 ACCENT vehicles with 1.5L SOHC and 1.6L DOHC engines.