Hyundai Atos Predominantly sold in Europe, the Atos is the smallest of the Hyundai lineup offering European sub-compact styling.

1999 Atoz 1000

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 04:29 PM
Default 1999 Atoz 1000

Hi All
I've had the Ugly SOB for two years now and I love it

Just today it developed a problem where it hunts at tick over, stalls more often than not then will only run when you give it big beans, then all seems ok until you slow down. So the problem seems to be tick over to about 1/4 to 1/2 throttle. Below this it kangaroo's like a mad thing. Don't need this in snow and ice. Prior to this it was a sweet drive. Plugs , filters leads and rotor cap etc are all good, re-newed in summer. Feels like fuel starvation. If it had a carb, I would be thinking slow running jet or fuel pump. Any suggestions please. My baby is sick
No EML on

Old 01-21-2013, 09:31 AM

Oh gee, thanks for all the replies. In case anyone else comes accross this post with a simailar problem, the ELM326 cheap China copy interface will interrogate the OBD2 socket on this car using a program called LaptopDyno which is free. It found a number of error codes which came back to engine temp sensor G4HC. Sensor is not easy to come by. Hyundai want £60 + Have just discovered that ADL list this under engine management temp sensor G4HC
Will post up if this cures the problem

Last edited by vmaxnick; 01-21-2013 at 09:52 AM.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:07 AM

It Didn't
I give up!
Scrapyard!

Old 04-11-2015, 04:35 AM
Default Re: Breastfeeding Mom

Hi, just joined this group, we have just purchased a 1998 Hyundai Atoz, on start up the engine revs quite high and then drops back to a normal tick over, if you press the accelerator it revs high again and then after approx a 1-2 minutes it drops down again, apart from that in drives really well, it appears it hasn't been serviced for 2 -3 years which I will get done in the new year, any body any idea what the high revving might be and if it is something a novice can check and fix. Many thanks, Reg

Old 04-12-2015, 04:23 PM
Default Atoz

Originally Posted by Thisthishehe
Hi, just joined this group, we have just purchased a 1998 Hyundai Atoz, on start up the engine revs quite high and then drops back to a normal tick over, if you press the accelerator it revs high again and then after approx a 1-2 minutes it drops down again, apart from that in drives really well, it appears it hasn't been serviced for 2 -3 years which I will get done in the new year, any body any idea what the high revving might be and if it is something a novice can check and fix. Many thanks, Reg
Your only answer is a Hyundai dealer. What you have is a sensor faulty, without correct interrogation you won't find the fault. I bodged mine in the end, my fault was originally the old faithful wiring loom to the MAP sensor on the manifold. I had to crack away the plastic on the connector and solder the wires directly to the sensor as they break inside the plug, then I converted it to manual choke using a solenoid. It will be way cheaper in the long run to get it properly diagnosed. My daughter has my Atoz now and it's still going, though I think the gearbox isn't long for this world.
Good luck.