Hyundai Azera A Hyundai like you've never seen before.

05' Avalon for 07' Azera? Would you?

Old 04-05-2008, 08:27 PM
Default 05' Avalon for 07' Azera? Would you?

Obviously I'm on a Hyundai forum... but I'm asking for honest opinions and thoughts. We just traded in my wifes 04' Honda Pilot for a 08' Sante Fe which we love in the short time we've owned it... now I thinking of swapping my Avalon for a 07' Azera.

I have a 05' Toyota Avalon XLS (newest body started in 05'). The car is great and I bought is used and got a very gooddeal on it.
Specs...
XLS... loaded with everything exept Nav...
Factory Warranty expiresin 2 months...
*Contemplating spending for extended warranty and keeping it longer than usual* cost $1000 (7 yr 75k)
Itypically swap cars every 2-3 years butam slowly getttingaway from that.
19k miles...

07' Azera.... I'll have a choice in colors..AND of course 2 YEARS newer.
Each carhas around 17kto23k... so similar miles...
Will have warranty 5 yr 60k
Dealer will cut me a check back for $1200-$1500... which I can bank (no loan on Avalon).

After years of not looking at the Hyundai... I really like the cars now... I considered the 09' Sonata LTD which I got a good quote on as well... but considering I trade more (unlike my wife), I'd probably take a bath on the depreciation if I traded again in 2-3 years.

Any and all thoughts please... thank you!

All the best...
Steve

Old 04-05-2008, 09:28 PM
Default RE: 05' Avalon for 07' Azera? Would you?

Hmmm, a 07 Azera or a 09 Sonata Limited? I'm biazed, since I just went through this process last January (except my choice was an 07 Azera vs 08 Sonata Limited V6). Both have the Lambda V6 engine, which means no timing belt to replace. I went with the Sonata. It's a lighter car (but still weights 3,500 lb), so mileage is better than the Azera. The Azera is a larger car on the outside, but I could hardly tell the difference in interior space. The Azera's trunk did appear larger. The Azera had the newer styled center console, but functionally the Sonata was the same. In driving both cars, I thought the Sonata felt more nimble, had better acceleration with the 3.3 liter engine and the brakes felt much more substantial. With the redesigned interior, I'd pick the 09 Sonata over any Azera in a minute. I also preferred the blackened hex pattern grill on the 08 Sonata over the Toyota-ish grill of the Azera, but unfortunately, the 09 Sonata has the same grill as the Azera and most other models in the Hyundai line. You'll notice I didn't defend the option of keeping the Toyota.

P.S. I think I'd get the 09 Sonata over the 07 Azera if you seriously considering an extended warranty for the Azera and plan on keeping the car for years. You'll get the full warranty coverage on the new Sonata. If you go the Azera route, be sure you ask about items covered and the required deductable for each extended warranty repair.

Old 04-05-2008, 10:17 PM

ORIGINAL: ken99

Hmmm, a 07 Azera or a 09 Sonata Limited? I'm biazed, since I just went through this process last January (except my choice was an 07 Azera vs 08 Sonata Limited V6). Both have the Lambda V6 engine, which means no timing belt to replace. I went with the Sonata. It's a lighter car (but still weights 3,500 lb), so mileage is better than the Azera. The Azera is a larger car on the outside, but I could hardly tell the difference in interior space. The Azera's trunk did appear larger. The Azera had the newer styled center console, but functionally the Sonata was the same. In driving both cars, I thought the Sonata felt more nimble, had better acceleration with the 3.3 liter engine and the brakes felt much more substantial. With the redesigned interior, I'd pick the 09 Sonata over any Azera in a minute. I also preferred the blackened hex pattern grill on the 08 Sonata over the Toyota-ish grill of the Azera, but unfortunately, the 09 Sonata has the same grill as the Azera and most other models in the Hyundai line. You'll notice I didn't defend the option of keeping the Toyota.

P.S. I think I'd get the 09 Sonata over the 07 Azera if you seriously considering an extended warranty for the Azera and plan on keeping the car for years. You'll get the full warranty coverage on the new Sonata. If you go the Azera route, be sure you ask about items covered and the required deductable for each extended warranty repair.
Thanks Ken... good stuff! The Sonata's look fantastic... and the 09's have really caught my eye. Not much difference in size, power and anything else... nicely updated inside and as a bonus... like you said, better mpg. The catch is the money difference. Though I'm only looking at $5 difference between a 07' Azera and a 09' Sonata Ltd.. the main thing I didn't want to do with the trade was put out any more cash. But I still may. Thanks...

Old 04-05-2008, 10:41 PM

I did drive a Camry XLE, which would have been my next choice to the Hyundai models. But I saved more money at purchase on a comparably equiped car than I figured I'd loose by the greater depreciation. I also tend to drive my cars until the wheels come off, so it's less of an issue with me.

There is one quirk with Hyundai cars that I've not experience anywhere else. The cars are equiped with automatic door locks, but they are turned off when the dealer receives the car. My dealer was happy to activate the locks after the fact, but some dealers charge to turn them on. Negotiate up front with the dealer to cover this.

Old 04-07-2008, 07:02 AM
Super Moderator

I'd make that swap in a heartbeat. The Azera is a very classy car with a great engine.

Old 04-08-2008, 08:41 AM

Well here it goes my Friend-The Azera is NOT a Sport Sedan!If you drive hard,this is NOT the Car for you!The Azera is a Great Sled as long as you dont Beat on it.It is bigger than the Sonata and is more like the Guy model of the two.The tail lights are still the best out there in the market.This tail light War thats going on is rather funny and fun to watch for me anyways.I bought my Azera on 12-4-07 and after 3100 miles I have had NO Problems.I Will not buy a Toyota because they are just boring.If you want a Car that will change your life for the better,wait just 3-4 months and buy a Hyundai Genesis with the V-6 and you will have a six year sled,insted of 2-3 year.You list midwest as home and this new model has rear wheel drive,so I have to say that in the Snow it will be a little slow going my friend!This New Model ROCKS!I do Love my Azera-VERY MUCH!Hope this helps you-Good Luck[&:]

Old 04-08-2008, 08:53 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: trom1
Well here it goes my Friend-The Azera is NOT a Sport Sedan!If you drive hard,this is NOT the Car for you!The Azera is a Great Sled as long as you dont Beat on it.
Nowhere did Shawk say he wanted a sports sedan. He has a Toyota Avalon currently so my guess is "sport" is not concern.

ORIGINAL: trom1
If you want a Car that will change your life for the better,wait just 3-4 months and buy a Hyundai Genesis with the V-6 and you will have a six year sled,insted of 2-3 year.You list midwest as home and this new model has rear wheel drive,so I have to say that in the Snow it will be a little slow going my friend!This New Model ROCKS!
Going back to the original question, Shawk is considering buying one of 2 USED Azeras or a new Sonata because of the cost. I don't think he's looking for a much more expensive Genesis new at this time. However. I would agree that the Genesis is a great car if youdon't mind waiting for it and paying the higher cost.

Old 04-08-2008, 07:41 PM

Thanks guys... I've looked at several things and am still undecided. So I'm going to sit tight for a short time until Iknow it's the right choice for me. I really like my Avalon so I need to be sure the Azera is a step in the right direction before I jump.
All the best!
S....

Old 04-21-2008, 09:14 PM

Update... Well... all though I've gotten whatI consider decent pricing... it looks like I'll probably hang on to my Avalon for now. I like the Azera but I'm going to sit tight. Thanks for the replies...

Old 04-23-2008, 08:35 AM

ORIGINAL: Shawk

Update... Well... all though I've gotten whatI consider decent pricing... it looks like I'll probably hang on to my Avalon for now. I like the Azera but I'm going to sit tight. Thanks for the replies...
Good decision, Shawk
I've driven both cars. I loved the Avalon. I bought an Azera because of the price. I actually paid less for a new Azera than a used Avalon with 28000+ miles and minor dings.
I really wanted a new Avalon. but, as I said "the price". I was out the door for $14000.00 less for the Azera. So far I'm satisfied with the Azera.

Regards,

westex

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 05' Avalon for 07' Azera? Would you?