Hyundai Azera A Hyundai like you've never seen before.

Azera Dead Battery

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 03:05 PM
Default Azera Dead Battery

I have a 2006 Azerz Limited. If I park the car for 3 1/2- 4 days the battery is completely drained. The dealer told me this was normal. I know this is not true. I know that there was an Azera replaced under the lemon law in PA. because of this problem. Has any one else run into this problem?

thanks,

Dennis

Old 02-11-2008, 07:52 PM
Default RE: Azera Dead Battery

Battery should not discharge in 3-4 days. Ask for that in writing if it is true. Now if they stay by that go to another hyundai dealer or contact consumer affairs. You either have a draw on your vehicle or a battery that is weak and will not hold a charge.Very simple and easy to test takes less than 15 minutes to perform the whole test.

Old 02-11-2008, 09:53 PM
Super Moderator

I know there was a certain stereo used on Tucsons that did the same thing; I wonder if the Azera has the same one?

There's nothing that says a car needs to go back to the purchasing dealer for warranty work. If the dealer you're going to refuses to help, you can go to another dealer if there's one reasonably close.

Old 02-12-2008, 11:03 AM

Thanks for your comments and suggestions. Yesterday they replaced the battery. They said they did that even though there were no issues with the systems or the car. I am going out of town next week and i will find out if the problem is gone.

I also read somewhere about a faulty radio in an Azera Limited running the battery down. Pretty strange!

I have to be honest i never thought af taking the car to anither dealer. i thought they all had hot sheets and were on the same page but I guess not.

Thanks again for your suggestions and comments.

Old 02-13-2008, 10:53 PM

There's a Hyundai technical service bulletin (07-90-008) that describes a potential problem with a hood switch that activates when grounded:

Opening the hood on Azera and Veracruz vehicles will ground the security system’s
hood input switch. Grounding the hood input switch places the security system module
(incorporated into the BCM) into a readiness standby mode. While in standby mode, the
BCM consumes an increased amount of current that may discharge the vehicle battery
if the hood is left open for several hours or overnight.
If that switch fails or get permenently grounded, it would create the problem you are experiencing. If the new battery solves your problem, great. If not, mention this hood switch issue to your dealer.

Old 02-14-2008, 07:03 AM

Thanks Ken, I appreciate the input. I can't believe I am the only one having this issue. I will definitely bring this up with a dealer.

Old 02-14-2008, 09:09 PM

Ken that tsb is for technicians to know while testing for a draw that the hood being open will cause a draw. It does not say that is a problem.

Old 02-14-2008, 10:19 PM

Yes, I realize that, I read the entire TSB. The TSB also warns dealers about letting Azera's sit in the showroom or on lots with the hoods open for extended periods without a battery charger connected. Blackazera's dealer had blown him off and I sensed no diagnostics had been run. Besides, I'm not sure a scanner would pull an error code even if the switch was defective. This switch is unique, closing it establishes a ground picked up by a logic circuit in the BCM. It doesn't power a cicuit, no electricity runs through it. If the switch became shorted out, there would be no outward indication like smoking wires, blown fuses or tripping relays. So if the switch was somehow damaged or the lead to it somehow got grounded, the security system module would simply kick into standby mode and start draining the battery. This item could be so insignificant looking under the hood, a person might not even realize something was wrong with it unless they were specifically looking for it.

Blackazera was looking for opinions and options. A dead cell in the battery was my first guess, and if such is the case, the problem has been solved. The flunky radio scenario? I doubt it. The Hyundai service site listed entirely different audio components for the Tucson and the Azera, and the problem would likely be more widespread if it was common to two distinct product lines. If the new battery doesn't solve Balckazera's problem, I think the hood switch would be worth checking out.

Old 05-03-2011, 09:39 AM
Default dead battery 07 azera

I bought the 2007 Azera Ltd used 10,000 miles. The factory battery died three years from the date of manufacture/sale. Never a problem starting. Installed advance auto battery. Dead in three months. Hyundai said it was the battery. Car is under warranty. They said they have no way to diagnose the problem, other than to go thru electrical system switch by switch. Advance gave me a new battery, it died about 3 mos later. Advance gave me a larger new battery 2 months ago, dead today. The car never sits for more than two days without driving.

Old 05-04-2011, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by dminges
I bought the 2007 Azera Ltd used 10,000 miles. Car is under warranty.
Ok

They said they have no way to diagnose the problem, other than to go thru electrical system switch by switch.
That's tooooo funny... find a dealer with a tech that knows how to use a DVOM.. Basic Electric 101 here.. taught parasitic draw in first electric class.. You is looking for a load, not a switch by switch. Care to name the dealer ?

The car never sits for more than two days without driving.
You have some sort of load drawing off your battery.. 2 minutes to hook up DVOM and measure draw, add to start pulling fuses until excess load goes away,,, then track the items on that circuit.. maybe know some in less than an hr, unless take apart needed to access some out of way item on the circuit to unplug it to verify source of excess draw.. I had 1 that turned out to be the audio amplifier was not shutting down.
Maybe you need to print this topic and show them my remarks... then tell me the look on advisor fella' face and tech' face when they read how to inspect your car..

Quick Reply: Azera Dead Battery