Hyundai Azera A Hyundai like you've never seen before.

Azera Dead Battery

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2012, 08:24 AM

The dealer mentioned a number of very specific things when I was buying the car. The dealer did tell me what weight of oil to use, the correct tire pressure, did tell me about the battery in the keyless remote, and a number of other things. This one additional thing in view of the problems an owner could have, especially late at night in an unsafe neighborhood, would be a very small thing for the dealer to include, especially when an owner asks specifically about it and asks what to do.

The manual is 403 pages long. Yes, I should have read it. I began reading it, but other demands of life got in the way. I doubt that very many owners even make the attempt at reading the manual I made.

What really is a big concern to me is that the policy of Hyundai is to tell owners to buy a trickle charger rather than asking dealers to tell owners about the memory fuse when owners ask about rapid battery discharge. So, yes, I do expect dealers to know about this, and I fault Hyundai of America that the dealers do not.

Last edited by Philip James Bohlken; 10-12-2012 at 08:29 AM. Reason: include other details
Old 10-12-2012, 09:52 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Philip James Bohlken
... I fault Hyundai of America that the dealers do not.
Hyundai did provide the answer in the manual. You chose not to read it.

Cars today have numerous systems that use electrical power when the car is off. It's NORMAL for batteries is discharge when not recharged (via the alternator or a charger) while sitting for long periods of time.

If you left the interior lights on the battery would drain. To solve the problem you need to turn off the interior lights.

Well, it's the same thing with the internal memories in modern cars. They use power and the battery will drain. To solve the problem you need to turn off the memories. To do that, you pull the memory fuse in the fuse box. sbr711 (a Hyundai Tech) said that over a year ago.

Originally Posted by sbr711
So you are saying that the car maybe sits for extended periods of time, like maybe a couple weeks to a month ??

If this is correct, then a drained/weak/dead battery will be a normal occurrence, as there is small parasitic draw to keep the many module memory alive.. even with the accepted minimal parasitic draw. This is why many makers ship cars to dealer from storage lot with the power connector (I call it a PDI fuse/connector) removed to eliminate parasitic draw so the battery nt die while in storage.. when they hit dealer, we power the car up.

Last edited by NovaResource; 10-15-2012 at 06:28 AM.