Hyundai Azera A Hyundai like you've never seen before.

Azera - How to read error codes???

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 10:03 AM
Default Azera - How to read error codes???

I have a 2008 Azera Limited and the ESC and Anti lock brake lights came on. Is there a way to access the error codes? I know my caddy I would hold 2 dash buttons in and the computer would go through the error codes displaying on the dash LEDand then reset. Can this be done on the Azera? Thanks for any help. Also where is a list of what the error codes mean?

Old 01-18-2009, 11:45 AM
Default RE: Azera - How to read error codes???

I have a 2008 Azera Limited and the ESC and Anti lock brake lights came on. Is there a way to access the error codes?
Hyundai error codes have to be read and reset with a scantool or diagnostic computer. One of the more common problems that will light up both the ESC and ABS lights is a bad brake light switch. It is a plunger switch mounted under the dash that is depressed when you apply brakes. Have someone check your brake lights while you step on the brake pedal. Unless you have put excessive mileage on the car, for a 2008 model this should be a warranty repair.

Also where is a list of what the error codes mean?
Here are two list for general and Hyundai specific codes:

http://jerrystout.us/sonata/All_OBDII_Codes.pdf

http://jerrystout.us/sonata/Hyundai_OBDII_Codes.pdf

You can also simply type the code into a search engine like Google. There are many sites out there that provide more discussion on codes than just listing the error.

The codes in these lists are mostly for drive train components (e.g. engine and tranny management). I don't think they cover other systems like ABS and ESC. The best source is the HMA service site at:

http://www.hmaservice.com/

The site is free but you must first register and the site is only compatable with Internet Explorer. It takes some trial and error to figure navigation, but once you do, it is the best source of information for your Azera.

Good luck.

Old 01-18-2009, 12:05 PM

Ken,
Thanks for the quick reply and info. Thanks for the link to the list of error codes, that is what I needed. Now I need to know how can I read these error codes from the car itself if possible. On my Caddy STS I used to have them display on the dash panel when I would hold the RESET and METRIC dash buttons together for 3 seconds. Then all the error codes recoded by the system would be displayed right on the dash and could be reset. You say I would need a scantool or diagnostic computer to read and reset the codes. Is there a place I can find one to buy at a resonable price? Maybe there is one that can hook up to the laptop to get into the system. Any? Price? Where?

Old 01-18-2009, 12:32 PM

On my Caddy STS I used to have them display on the dash panel when I would hold the RESET and METRIC dash buttons together for 3 seconds. Then all the error codes recoded by the system would be displayed right on the dash and could be reset. You say I would need a scantool or diagnostic computer to read and reset the codes.
I am guessing you caddy was pre-1996. The electronic management and diagnostic systems on all cars comply with industry standards. The first generation (OBDC-I) were deployed in the 1980's up to 1995. OBDC-I codes were held in volatile memory, all you had to do to reset the codes was disconnect the battery for a few seconds. Yes, on every ODBC-I car I've owned, there was a means of extracting the codes usually by counting flashing lights. The second generation of these systems (OBDC-II) began in 1996 to present. Codes are held in static memory and can only be reset by computer or by a proceedure that involves removing the ECM from the car to access a switch or short specific connections. There is some variation is how manufacturers have deployed the newer standard. I once owned a 97 Sentra that would flash error codes at start up. My 99 Explorer will not flash engine or transmission codes, but does flash airbag codes. Hyundai once had a method by connecting an analog voltmeter to the system and counting the number of needle swings. I think all the newer cars require the use of a scantool.

Is there a place I can find one to buy at a resonable price? Maybe there is one that can hook up to the laptop to get into the system. Any? Price? Where?
Walmart is the short answer. They sell one made by Innova that cost ~$100. If you want something more elaborate, search Google for "OBDC-II scantools" or something like that.

Yes, there are some that involve a cable adpater you connect to a PC that has diagnostic software installed. Some of these later type permit dynamic monitoring while the car is running.

Old 01-18-2009, 12:37 PM

You might want to try AutoZone.

I have heard that at least in thepastthey would read any codes that were
stored in your computer. Give them a try and let us know what happens?

Old 01-18-2009, 12:42 PM

You might want to try AutoZone.
Yes, just about all national chains offer loaners or will rent scanners for personal use.

Old 01-18-2009, 01:30 PM

Ken,

Thanks again. The STS is a 99 fully loaded. Short story, the reason I bought this Azera was the caddy, never hit before, was struck by a garbage truck making a u-turn in a snow storm. Broke the grille, radiator, and headlights. Everything else is in perfect condition, like new. Looking to sell as is or sell the 50k miles motor for a few g's if you know anyone interested.

Back to the story here, the 99 caddy I can read the codes and reset from the dash. I guess I have to find one external diagnostic for this Azera to read and reset.

I think you found the problem. I only picked up this car (Azera) last week and had a remote start kit installed the other day. I know part of that install is a sensor so that when the car is remotley started and the brake pedal is touched the car will shut off. Something must be wrong with their install last Friday but drove the car 400 miles before the error code came on. I want to rip the whole remote start out before bringing to the dealer and have them void my warranty. The remote start that was put in will start the car but the interior heat and panel lights do not come on. What good is it if the motor gets hot and the interior is still a refrig. Do you recommend any remote start kit that will do what it should for warming up the car? Also, when I lock the doors, does not set the alarm nor does the kit open the truck. Guess I got screwed.

Please any ideas I am very anxious to read. If you want to talk send me an email to my home address and I will send my phone #. Home address is tony@onsite-solutions.net Thanks for all the good pro help.

Old 01-18-2009, 01:44 PM

Do you recommend any remote start kit that will do what it should for warming up the car? Also, when I lock the doors, does not set the alarm nor does the kit open the truck. Guess I got screwed.
I live in one of the colder parts of the country, but I avoid remote start systems for many of the reasons you cite. I have seen too many folks that try these devices having electrical problems after installation. The devices thenselves are probably OK, but the installers are usually suspect. I either suffer with the cold interior or trudge out to the car and manually start it to warm it up. My wife drives our Sonata and, of course, she gets first dibs on the heated garage.

If you travel through North Dakota, northern Minnesota or north of the border, many folks install 120V interior heaters that they plug in along with the engine block heaters. These are just small forced air electrical heaters that mount under the dash.

Thanks for all the good pro help.
Ha...I am just an experienced (as in older) amateur.

Old 01-19-2009, 10:54 AM

ORIGINAL: ken99

I live in one of the colder parts of the country, but I avoid remote start systems for many of the reasons you cite. I have seen too many folks that try these devices having electrical problems after installation.
The devices thenselves are probably OK, but the installers are usually suspect.
I either suffer with the cold interior or trudge out to the car and manually start it to warm it up.
My wife drives our Sonata and, of course, she gets first dibs on the heated garage.

If you travel through North Dakota, northern Minnesota or north of the border, many folks
install 120V interior heaters that they plug in along with the engine block heaters.
These are just small forced air electrical heaters that mount under the dash.

Thanks for all the good pro help.
Ha...I am just an experienced (as in older) amateur.
Sinceyoulive in those areas, you know and have experienced
the cold first hand many manytimesI am sure.
I have passed through those areas since 1946, but not in the winter, on our way to
the WPG River. I marvel at what it must be like thereduring the winter season.

Likewise, I am an 'experinced' much older 'amateur' and a graduate of the
school of hard knocks, and it is my opinion that there is no finer university.
[sm=exactly.gif]
Once learned that way, even if it was60 years ago, one never forgets what was learned.