Hyundai Azera A Hyundai like you've never seen before.

Problem with lights dimming

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2006, 02:00 PM
Default Problem with lights dimming

I have 2006 azera limited with the ultimate package and every time I am driving a night the lights of the car dimmed, I reported the incident to the dealer and they told me it was normal. The car started with this problem 2 months after purchased. Going into my second service the car continue to have the same problem and right before service the car lost power and would not go over 40 mph. I brought the car to the dealer and the replaced the accelerator system (electrical) when I picked up the car the following day I noticed that the paint of the rear was by windshield right side was dull. I went to the dealer and they told me it was a manufacturer error and that the car was not finished and they would take care of it. I let them know about the lights that continue to dim at night. Currently they are painting the car and they telling me the problem with the lights are within manufacturing standards. However the loaner/rental which is the same model does not have the same problem with the lights. I wanted to know if anyone has experienced the problem with lights at night. It normally happens when I let go of the gas and the RMPS drop then bang the lights dim. It sort of when you car is parked at night and you pushed the button for the windows and the lights dim. I contacted support but I am starting to think I may have a lemon.

Old 10-01-2006, 07:18 PM
Default RE: Problem with ligths dimming

I have not had that problem. If the dealer does not correct it, ask to talk to a Hyundai representative.

Old 08-24-2007, 01:54 PM

You have an internal short with the headlight circuit and it has to be traced and corrected. (if you are speaking of dimming the dash lighting, that is normal when headlights are on to reduce night glare)
If the dealer doesn't have a wiring manual, VOM, and a good electronics tech, you will likely have to contact Hyundai.com.

Old 08-24-2007, 02:47 PM

hi there,
>>I am driving at night the lights of the car dimmed,<<

can you please be more spectfic!!!!!!!

Old 10-18-2007, 09:05 PM

Hi.
I have a similar problem to OSC661.
In response to questions, let me tell you what I am experencing...
I have also have a 2006 Limited (it also has a paint defect in the same area - hmmm interesting).
When driving at night, the main front lights 'dim' (the dash lights do not dothis). The reduction of the amount of light is significant enough that other cars of the road believe that I am flashing my lights at them. The reduction of light lasts 1-2secs. If the cabin fan is on 'max' air volume, then there is a reduction in fan speed at the same time.
This does not happen when the car is stationary (in Park), but it does happen in both town and highway driving conditions. The local dealer has looked at it 5 times (it is with the dealer now as I write this) an they have come up with a number of theories from loose battery terminal to bad alternator (which was replaced).
They currently admit that they do not have any more suggestions, so the service manageris using the car at night to go home, in a hope that he can detect any clue which would indicate where to look next.
The Hyundai rep. has told the dealer that this is 'normal for an Azera', however they will not put this in writting (surprise surprise!!!).

So, if anyone has any experience / suggestions......

Thanks

Old 10-26-2007, 10:11 AM

Hey guys,

New guy here. I have this same problem with my 06 Azera (build date 3-31-06).
In another forum,(link: http://www.hyundai-forums.com/t19598...ot-off-gas.htm
Dr. Todd posted this:

"I was having the same problem with my 2006 Azera. The dealer first said there was no problem and everything operated within specs. I finally convinced the dealer that I had heard other Azera owners with the same problem had the dealer document the problem and they brought a field rep in who had them replace the alternator. This seemed to work for a while but the dimming returned, with the headlights dimming when I applied the brakes or a shift in the transmission. I returned the car a few more times for this problem and another field rep got involved and replaced the battery wiring assembly with part #91850-3K110. The dealer and field rep found a voltage drop which this new wiring assembly seems to have corrected. I would suggest demanding that the dealer document the problem and replace the original battery wiring assembly with the new assembly mentioned above. I continue to monitor my headlights and to date have not noticed a return of the headlight dimming problem."

Addendum#1: "Just to give you more information which I hope will be helpful. The note on service statement when the new wiring was installed is: Hyundai field tech found 3mv drop in charging system wire from alternator to junction block. Replaced battery harness. Again the part that was used was 91850-3K110."

Thnaks Dr. Todd! I am taking mine in tomorrow for the third time on this issue. The dealer has checked the voltage of the alternator and found no issues. Hopefully I can get this wiring harness replaced under warranty, if not, I guess I have to wait for a TSB. Other drivers constantly flash me at night and my air almost shuts down on a hot day here in FLA. It is very annoying. Otherwise, I have had no issues except for the clunk and the struts are being replaced tomorrow (Woohoo!). I love this car and hope patience will help me work out the kinks. Good luck.

Old 02-20-2008, 08:43 PM

Perform Volt drop on Pos battery cable (From battery to u/h junction box. Also check neg cable to body cable. G09, G109, G110

If all above is Ok, There is a update Alter available

There is NO TSB on this YET !!!!!!!!

Old 08-20-2008, 04:11 PM

There is a TSB(08-BE-004) out from Hyundai addressing concerns that may possibly apply.

Old 02-25-2009, 09:51 PM

I've had this problem before, and the service writer told me every Azera did that, and not to worry. I asked to test drive a new azera, and surprisingly I was denied. But its not consistant, and i've tried to pinpoint it. I have a touch screen dvd with a 1000 watt amp, turned it up almost all the way, and it didnt do it. In fact it doesnt to it very much since I installed the sterio. But yeah thats my 2 cents.

Old 08-15-2011, 02:34 PM

Hi
I had this problem develop several months after buying a used 2006 Azera. Intermittently, the headlights would dim, the air conditioner and radio would cut out. There seemed to be no pattern to the problem, a real "ghost in the machine". I read about the TSB on this forum and checked my VIN with the dealer and was told that the TSB did not apply to my car. I took it to an independent mechanic who spent several hours "troubleshooting" the problem and wasn't able to find anything. I then took the car to another mechanic I'd had very good luck with.
He SOLVED the problem in the following way:
With a volt meter, he tested the positive terminal behind the alternator and compared it to the battery. There was a discrepancy of more than .2 volts. He concluded that there was a
problem SOMEWHERE in the harness between the alternator and the battery. He told me that there were several ways of dealing with this. He could laboriously test everything wired to the harness to find the exact location of the drop, which could take an enormous amount of time (time=money). He could start replacing likely electric components along the course of the harness (expensive and scattershot). Or he could simply connect a 4 gauge wire from the back terminal of the alternator directly to the positive terminal of the battery, after making sure that all the visible wiring and terminals were clean and tight. I told him to do the wire bypass. Several weeks later, this has solved the problem completely. I hope this helps someone else with the same problem.

Quick Reply: Problem with lights dimming