Hyundai Azera A Hyundai like you've never seen before.

Severe Service Maintance Schedule?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2008, 09:04 AM
Default Severe Service Maintance Schedule?

I recently turned 50,000 miles and went in for the regularly scheduled oil & filter(every 5,000 miles)change along with a front end alignment as the car was pulling to the right. I ended up also buying the cabin air filter, it was the original one and was very dirty. I ended up arguing with the Service Manager and Service Advisor about having the transmission serviced. The owners manual says no need to but they cited the "severe service" schedule and this is where we differed. I live in a part of Texas where we have rolling hills but not steep enought to cause the car to downshift from OD to fourth, it just keeps cruising. I do not use the car for Taxi service nor stop and go driving, I am never on dusty roads, and yes it usually tops out in the 90's May thru September.

I called Hyundai and they could not immediately respond but promised to investigate my inquiry about my driving habits and the dealers allegation. They called back two days later and told me they felt I should follow the servere service schedule and after asking why they admitted it was because they had called a couple of Hyundai dealers in Texas and both felt that the heat warranted the alternate service schedule. I then personally asked both a Chevy (Classic Chevrolet selling the most Chevrolets for GM) and a local Ford Dealer and neither recommend the severe service for the use I offered. Anyone else had this experience and what service schedule do you follow?

Thanks

Old 11-29-2008, 02:42 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Severe Service Maintance Schedule?

The auto trans fluid should be changed every 30K miles. If you didn't do it at 30K , you are 20K overdue so YES it should be done at 50K.

Old 11-30-2008, 10:36 AM

The owners manual clearly states to replace at 105,000 miles or 84 months.

Roger

Old 11-30-2008, 01:38 PM
Super Moderator

Not under the Severe Service Maintance Schedule. And while you might not think your driving is Severe Service, it is. 90% of all cars on the road are considered Severe Service.