Hyundai Elantra While not much larger than the accent, the Elantra offers similar room, but a sportier look and feel, as well as more power.

03 Elantra loud noise coming from the frontend

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 08:46 AM
Default 03 Elantra loud noise coming from the frontend

Well I got a Elantra like a week ago. I hear a loud noise from the front end. No its not the engine but it sounds like the engine if you were to rev it up keep it rev'd up. This sound only occurs when driving at a speed about 35mph and it gets louder the faster you go. I can push in the clutch and put it in neutral and the noise will still be there. I checked and made sure they didn't put on a directional tire the wrong way. I'm going to check the wheel bearings today and check the gear oil levels. I'm stumped anyone got any ideas?

Old 03-06-2010, 09:13 PM

Wheel brg.....

Get up some speed to bring about the noise.

Now..... Make sure you have plenty of safe space to do this, as it might scare people or cause them to think you is a nut...

Turn wheel 1 direction to effect a lean/weight load to 1 side, noise will either increase or decrease.... do it the other direction... increase or decrease...

Increase with weight/load is the bum brg.. good hering will also give you direction of sound from which side it coming from. Could be both also..

Old 03-07-2010, 09:39 AM

ya I checked it yesterday. It gets louder making a left turn and quiets down on a right turn. I also checked the whether or not there was any play in the bearings but I didn't find any. Are there the type that have to be pressed in? Thanks for your help.

Old 03-07-2010, 10:36 AM

Remove the spindle/knuckle from car.

Take new bearing, new snap ring, and knuckle to shop for press out of old hub and bearing. When looking at the bearing look in the bore and you will see where the inner and outer races meet (groove)... take and slide the races apart (they only move a weeeee bit) and get some real bearing grease and start packing it into the groove to get real grease into the ball/race cavity.

Then press bearing into the knuckle, install ring, then press hub through bearing bore, install back onto vehicle.

Reason is, bearings is supplied from vendor, and nobody "specs" and actual lubricant to be used, so they get installed into the vehicle with some kind of white butter stuff that aint worth what it made of..

Some Kendall 427 Blue or Mobil-1 synthetic grease will do the job... though I have Mobil-1 at home, and shop has Kendall 427.