Hyundai Elantra While not much larger than the accent, the Elantra offers similar room, but a sportier look and feel, as well as more power.

sorry, post screwed up - trying again:battery

Old 09-27-2008, 11:28 AM
Default sorry, post screwed up - trying again:battery

Sorry about that last post

Does anyone know about an aftermarket battery replacement for a 2005 elantra, GLS, hatchback.

The only number I found on the original battery was: MF60AH

I don't know how to cross reference that number with a diehard, or optima etc

Thanks for any help

drov

Old 09-27-2008, 12:05 PM
Default RE: sorry, post screwed up - trying again:battery

I don't know how to cross reference that number with a diehard, or optima etc
I simply checked the Interstate Batteries and Batteries Plus web sites, both are in agreement that the OEM replacement would be a type "24F" for a 2005 Elantra. That is a very common battery that you should be able to find at any auto parts store. For the last 10 years, I have had good luck with batteries from Walmart. Be aware that there is a type "24" battery with the same case size but the positive and negative post locations are reversed on top.

Old 09-27-2008, 01:07 PM
Default Thanks so much

ken99,

I appreciate the help. I thought I was going nuts - none of my searches online got me to the references you mentioned and I was looking on that Batteries Plus site too. Anyway - the OEM is still working in the Elantra, but since I'm going into the fourth year with the original battery - I thought I'd replace it. My 2002 Camry battery went from working to dead in one day - without warning - after three years and I didnt want to chance the original battery in the Elantra with winter coming. I know what you're saying about Walmart - that's where I got the replacement battery for the Camry - I think Consumer reports - at the time - gave their batteries good write-ups.

Thanks again and I'll watch the reverse positive / negative posts like you said.

regards,

David

Old 09-27-2008, 01:24 PM
Default RE: Thanks so much

Thanks again and I'll watch the reverse positive / negative posts like you said.
Stick with a "24F" and you will be OK. FYI, the Exide battery site confirms a 24F for the Elantra.

I know what you're saying about Walmart - that's where I got the replacement battery for the Camry - I think Consumer reports - at the time - gave their batteries good write-ups.
I do not know that a Walmart battery is any better than the better known national brands, but they offer a competative price, good warranty service and the stock is always fresh. I have never purchased a battery at a Walmart that was more than 6 weeks old.

Old 09-28-2008, 06:48 PM
Default RE: Thanks so much

Stick with a "24F" and you will be OK.
I think a type 24F will still work just fine, but I've discovered that the Battery Council International has recently (May 2008) updated their cross-reference list for U.S. and foreign automotive battery types. The correct equivilent to the MF60AH is now a type 124R-3 or 124-R3. I was just in my local Walmart shopping and they had both the 24F and 124R-3 in stock. If there is a differnece, it was subtle. Regardless, I thought I would share this new bit of info with you in case you went battery shopping and came across the new type listing.

Old 09-29-2008, 10:30 AM
Default I noticed that too

Thanks for the update. I came across the same group size change too once I got on track and found the cross reference websites. I also came across this interesting link which gave me more then I'll ever need to know:

http://jgdarden.com/batteryfaq/batbrand.htm#A

I also read a comment where it mentioned that a higher CCA isn't always better then the factory installed battery's CCA. The person said that they use thinner plates to achieve the higher CCA, thus shortening the life of the battery. I'm not that worried about it - but I thought that was an interesting comment.

By the way - is there any way you know of to check the original specs on the OEM battery in my 2005 Hyundai Elantra GLS hatchback? I didn't pull the original yet, but there's not much English written on it and my manual says: MF60AH 912v) I could call the dealership just to see what the original specs are for the heck of it.

I think It'll be around 650 CCA. I'm about 3 1/2 years on the original and don't feel like going out to a dead battery this winter. I was shocked when my 2002 Camry LE's original battery went from perfect to nothing in a day. Previously to that, I was used to vehicles with a day or two of low cranking warning signs! The dealer told me - "Not with the new cars - power everything, alarm etc." I don't think that original made it to three years.

Thanks for the help

Old 09-29-2008, 10:34 AM
Default slight correction from last post

For my OEM battery my manual says : MF60AH (12V)

Old 09-29-2008, 07:40 PM
Default RE: I noticed that too

is there any way you know of to check the original specs on the OEM battery in my 2005 Hyundai Elantra GLS hatchback?
The HMA service site indicates the original MF60AH battery was rated at 550 CCA with 92 minute reserve capacity. Hope that helps.

Old 10-01-2008, 10:34 AM
Default Thanks

ken99: Thanks for that and all other info -

jsinton: Walmart's where I'm heading