Hyundai Elantra While not much larger than the accent, the Elantra offers similar room, but a sportier look and feel, as well as more power.

'07 Elantra suspension

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 09:05 PM
MJG
Default '07 Elantra suspension

Wife bought an 07 about 8 months ago. Just turned over 30,000 kms last week. It is her car, rarely do I drive it or ride as a passenger.

Car is practically new, great condition (besides her smashing up the rocker over a curb this summer).

I was in her car and noticed some distinct suspension thumping/clunking within the car, which she claims has been this way since she got the car at 19,000 kms.

Reading up a bit on the forum, seems that this is not uncommon. Has anyone figured out a resolution for this? I believe the car retains the 5 yr warranty, we also worked out an additional 1 yr into the deal, so bumper to bumper coverage until next year sometime.

Seems the rear springs are soft, way too much suspension travel in this car, not impressed. However, it's the suspension clunking/thumping/cracking that drives me wild, I don't know how she can handle the noise during her daily commute.

Any help would be appreciated, this should NOT be an issue with a car with such little mileage @ 4.5 yrs old.

Old 10-31-2012, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by MJG
Wife bought an 07 about 8 months ago. Just turned over 30,000 kms last week. It is her car, rarely do I drive it or ride as a passenger.

Car is practically new, great condition (besides her smashing up the rocker over a curb this summer).

I was in her car and noticed some distinct suspension thumping/clunking within the car, which she claims has been this way since she got the car at 19,000 kms.

Reading up a bit on the forum, seems that this is not uncommon. Has anyone figured out a resolution for this? I believe the car retains the 5 yr warranty, we also worked out an additional 1 yr into the deal, so bumper to bumper coverage until next year sometime.

Seems the rear springs are soft, way too much suspension travel in this car, not impressed. However, it's the suspension clunking/thumping/cracking that drives me wild, I don't know how she can handle the noise during her daily commute.

Any help would be appreciated, this should NOT be an issue with a car with such little mileage @ 4.5 yrs old.

Yep this is a known problem. I have the same issue with my 2008 Elentra which I bought this year. I bought it used and immediately started to notice a rattle coming from the front-end of the car which sounded like my shocks or structs were done for. After doing some research on my model year, it turns out Hyndai issued a Technical Service Bulletin for this problem to the dealerships. I've even seen the pdf that shows the dealers step-by-step mechanic fix for this problem. It involves applying some poly-urathane based adhesive at the top of the strut where a protective sheathing meets that top portion. Essentially the problem a rattling or vibration caused by this sheathing where it meets the top part of the strut based on what I read. If you go to a dealer and complain about that problem they'll know immediately what the issue is. I wish I could find the TSB # for you but I can't find it. I don't know that just because there's a TSB issued for this, that the dealer fixes it for free. They may charge for the labor even though to me this is a defect with the car. I've tried to find some poly-urathane online to see if I can buy it and just fix the problem myself since my car is not under warranty with those mechanic instructions the dealer issued. I guess I could call the dealer to see if they fix this for free.