Hyundai Elantra While not much larger than the accent, the Elantra offers similar room, but a sportier look and feel, as well as more power.

'10 Elantra Manual Driver Seat Won't Budge

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 12:16 PM
Default '10 Elantra Manual Driver Seat Won't Budge

I recently borrowed my mothers 2010 Elantra and needed to adjust the drivers seat so I could fit (I'm 6', and my mother is 5'1"). When I returned the car, my mother was unable to return the seat to where it was.

The problem seems to be with the right side rail (closest to the center console). The release lever seems to release the rail pins, but when we try to push the seat forward only the left side seems to be free to move. The right side doesn't budge at all.

I've removed a few pens that had fallen between the console and the seat, however, this did not resolve the issue. I'd read some other sites and I haven't found anything definitive on how to fix this, besides removing the seat from the car.

Please help.

Thanks in advance.

Old 09-21-2012, 12:49 PM
Super Moderator

Something is probably jammed in there and preventing it from moving or preventing the lock pins from releasing. You'll probably have to remove the seat to fix it yourself (or take it back to the dealer, it's still under warranty).

Old 09-21-2012, 12:56 PM

Thanks for the quick response Nova.

I've taken a look under the seat, and I can see the lock pins releasing when I lift the release lever. I know it's possible to still have something jammed, but I can't see any foreign objects.

I compared the distance the passenger seat moves to the drivers current location, and the passenger seat moves further back than where the drivers seat is. So to me, this means that the drivers seat will not go forward or backward. If there was a single object preventing the seat from moving forward, then the seat SHOULD be able to move backwards, but it won't.

The car is still under warranty, but would like to avoid a trip to the dealer, if possible.

Old 11-25-2012, 09:05 AM

Perhaps there was something in the track that you ran over when moving seat back. It may be small enough to prevent it from being readily visible at either end of the track. Perhaps some penetrating oil will lubricate it enough to get movement otherwise either you will have to pull seat and track or have some dandy free coffee at the dealer.