Hyundai Elantra While not much larger than the accent, the Elantra offers similar room, but a sportier look and feel, as well as more power.

1997 elantra won't start

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 06:29 PM
Default 1997 elantra won't start

got a 97 elantra and it won't start. it will crank over good but just wont start like it isn't getting any gas. 2 weeks ago the gas was low and it started very hard and then ran terrable till i got it to the gas station. put gas in and it started up fine and rand good. 4 days later put more gas in so i have 3/4 tank full and ran good. i shut it off in the afternoon and came out later that evening and it wouldn't start.
i have good spark to all 4 spark plugs. i know that gas is getting to the injection rail. took the fuel pressure regulator off and gas pushes out their so i know gas is getting to that point. we took off the wires to 2 of the injectors and their is power going to them. i switched the fuel pump relay with the ac relay and that didn't help.
we did find out that when i turn the key on it doesn't start the fuel pump, i have to actually turn the car over for the fuel pump to work. is that normal ? i called hyundai dealer and talked to their service center and they couldn't tell me if that was normal or not.
we would like to test the fuel pressure but it takes a special adapter and no garage around has one, i cant even order one from the local parts store cause it isn't listed in their catalogs. where can someone get one of them adapters ?
my car hasn't run for a week now and i just don't know what to do.

i read that it could be a camshaft sensor or a crankshaft sensor but i don't see how it can be if i got good spark at the spark plugs. when i took my spark plugs out to check them they were dry. does anyone have any ideas ??

Old 04-29-2011, 09:18 PM

Did you replace the actual fuel pump itself?

(Find out where the fuel pump is located. If in the gas tank, take a rubber mallet and give it a few taps against the tank. If the car starts after that, it's the fuel pump failing (relay not the problem if the hammer gets the pump going). Old pumps can get stuck on a car. This is not unusual of a car 10+ years old and/or 100k+ miles).

Last edited by NovaResource; 04-30-2011 at 06:35 AM. Reason: Merged posts