Hyundai Elantra While not much larger than the accent, the Elantra offers similar room, but a sportier look and feel, as well as more power.

1998 Hyundai Elantra Ball Joint Snap Ring Install?

Old 12-15-2010, 11:11 PM
Default 1998 Hyundai Elantra Ball Joint Snap Ring Install?

I have a 1998 Hyundai Elantra and the garage told me I needed new ball joints.. I checked them every way I knew and the passanger one I couldn't find play.. The drivers side the only way I could get the tiniest bit of play was to pry between lower control arm and spindle at the point where ball joint is.

So I took out that ball joint and pressed the new one in. NOW I have no idea how to get the clip onto the ball joint! THere are no holes to stick them in snap ring pliers.. There is no way it's going on like a C clip because it's almost a full circle and it's VERY stiff metal.. The old one I had to rip out and beld up.. How the heck will I get this one on? If I try to go over the top and slide down over boot it gets a bunch of the boot caught up under it and it won't go down anymore!! UGH I need to put it back together sorry I'm so frustrated horrible month..

Any help will be greatly appreciated! I will post a picture if anyone doesn't understand what I mean. Basically new ball joint is in just need to get snap ring onto the top of it. The gap is there it's in all the way just can't figure out how to get it on without ruining boot!

Thanks,
Ryan