Hyundai Elantra While not much larger than the accent, the Elantra offers similar room, but a sportier look and feel, as well as more power.

2002 Elantra Power Steering Issues/Help

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2014, 02:26 AM
Default 2002 Elantra Power Steering Issues/Help

Okay, so I'm going to get into this here.

Around the beginning of the year, I took my car into a local dealership to have the oil changed. That went just fine, they mentioned that the power steering was leaking a bit, but I had another mechanic check it out and they didn't find any issues.

Since I bought the car two years ago, it's always had a poor turning radius and I thought that was just how the car was. It turns corners just fine, no issues. It's operated like a typical car. I just assumed that Elantras didn't have a spectacular turning radius.

The only times I've ever heard squeals coming from my powering steering is in the winter when it's been really cold and I was trying to drive it right after starting it, no warm up period. Since it's been warm, no problems.

However, tonight, coming home from work I noticed... more freedom in my steering wheel. Suddenly my car is turning much better than before and easier. Before it would almost seem to... stop before the wheel would turn much, but like I said before, I had no issues controlling the car, getting it to turn properly or anything.

I personally don't trust this "improvement." I think this is a bad sign. My car was just recently in the same dealership shop it had been in at the beginning of the year and this time no one circled, marked, or told me of any issues they found with the car during the oil change. Either they didn't see any issues with the car or they're all terrible mechanics.

Obviously it's my worst nightmare, but I know I should probably get this taken into the shop, but I'd like some personal advice on this, too, so I'm not going in totally blind.

Any help is appreciated, thank you.

Old 09-01-2014, 02:37 AM

I would like to add that I haven't seen ANY leaking under my car in any of the three places that it gets parked for long periods of time and when I checked all of my fluids last week, everything was fine.

Old 09-02-2014, 12:01 PM
Super Moderator

When was the fluid changed last? It might not be leaking (or not very much) but the fluid might be dirty and need changing.

Old 09-03-2014, 11:31 AM

Changed, I'm not sure, but last summer I put fluid in because it was low. That was the first time ever since I owned it that anything was done with it at all.

Would the fact that I just recently put a better quality gas in my car make a difference with the power steering? I was using a cheaper gas station in town, but decided, when I had an empty tank, to go to another place that was more expensive, but had no complaints about gas quality.

Old 11-19-2014, 09:32 PM

WELL i guest some hydraulic valve or releif valve was probably quite jam and now it was operate properly. So enjoy it,