Hyundai Elantra While not much larger than the accent, the Elantra offers similar room, but a sportier look and feel, as well as more power.

2002 elantra shut off problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 01:47 PM
Default 2002 elantra shut off problems

My daughter has a 2002 Enlantra that has recently been very problematic. The most recent problem is that it runs and idles fine until its warm, then without warning ( no spuddering or erratic idle) the check engine light comes on and it shuts off.

Now a little history:

Back in December the Radiator sprung a leak, bought a new one at Advanced Auto and installed it along with a new thermostat. 2 weeks later the radiator exploded at the to seam. they replaced it under warranty. After this happened she started to experience a very rough Idle and stalling problem. I took it to the shop and they found that the intake manifold gasket was blown. They replaced that and it ran good for about 2 weeks. Now the shut down problem started. She can't keep it running when stopped or in park once it's at normal operating temp. When starting cold it does spit and spudder for 5 sec. then it idles fin until its warm.

The car has 150,000 miles on it.

I have re looked at all of the areas that have been worked on, and can not find anything that was not re assembled correctly

The normal tune up items were done recently: Plugs, Wires, Air filter, Oil and filter. When it was in the shop they tested the head gasket and it is fine

I'm thinking this is an electrical issue, but have no clue where to start to find the problem

Pleas Help.