Hyundai Elantra While not much larger than the accent, the Elantra offers similar room, but a sportier look and feel, as well as more power.

2004 Elantra-Timing belt wear

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 12:37 PM
Default 2004 Elantra-Timing belt wear

I bought a 2004 Elantra new in 2004 which we use as a commuter car. I enjoy the car and so far haven't had any trouble with it. I change the oil and filter every 3000-3500 miles and make sure the car's tires are properly inflated and rotated as required. I'm approaching 60,000 miles and according to the Service Manual the timing belt should be changed. How critical is it to change it @ 60,000 miles and if the belt woudl break, what are the consequences? Any and all information would be appreciated!

Old 04-07-2008, 12:59 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 2004 Elantra-Timing belt wear

The 2.0L Beta 4-cyl engine in your Elantra is an interference motor. That means the pistons and valves occupy the same space in the cylinders but at different times. The timing belt is what keep the cams and valves in time with the pistons. If the timing belt breaks, the cams and valves stop moving. Unfortunately, the pistons keep moving. So what then happens is the pistons come up and break or bend all the valves. This means a new cylinder head at least.

Your motor is covered for 10 years and/or 100k miles. Hyundai says change the beltat 60K. If the belt breaks before 60K miles they will replace the cylinder head (or engine) for free. However, do you think Hyundai will replace the cylinder head (or engine) under warranty of the timing belt breaks after 60k miles? I doubt it.

Now, many people will tell you the belt can easily last longer than 60K miles and that they have done so on their car. And I am inclined to agree with them on paper. But we don't drive "on paper" and in the real world do you think any of those people give you the money you need to replace your engine if it breaks after 60K miles and Hyundai denies the warranty because you failed to do the suggested maintenance? Fat chance.

So you've got to ask yourself a question, "Do I feel lucky?"
Well, do ya punk?

Last edited by NovaResource; 07-04-2009 at 09:32 AM.
Old 04-07-2008, 09:03 PM
Default RE: 2004 Elantra-Timing belt wear

Fix the belt or face the Consequences, my Hyundai Man says so..He's a real gold certified by Hyundai...

Old 07-04-2009, 08:58 AM

The belts on theses cars are super tough. Id did mine on my 2003 elantra at 110K Miles and it was still in good shape. I found out that the idler and tensioner where in worst shape then the belt it self. The A/C tensioner pulley was also to change. I did all of that and the result was stunning. The engine now runs smoooth and quiet. You can find all these parts cheap at www.rockauto.com Gates is the OEM belt for this cars so I recomend you buy Gates TCK284. This kit includes the belt, idler and tensioner. If you have the tools and 8 to 10 hrs this job is a piece of cake. You can find an easy step-by-step here: http://www.elantraxd.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14645

Good luck!

Old 07-04-2009, 09:35 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by EricS
The belts on theses cars are super tough. Id did mine on my 2003 elantra at 110K Miles and it was still in good shape.
^^^ Very bad advice. Hyundai timing belts should be changed it at 60K miles. Period. Or this may happen:

https://www.hyundaiforum.com/forum/s...ead.php?t=6033

Name:  DSCN4537.jpg
Views: 9276
Size:  45.4 KB

Name:  DSCN4528.jpg
Views: 10293
Size:  75.1 KB

Don't be like this guy. We tried to warn him and he didn't listen: https://www.hyundaiforum.com/forum/s...ead.php?t=4501

Last edited by NovaResource; 07-04-2009 at 09:41 AM.
Old 07-04-2009, 10:35 AM

[quote=NovaResource;23008]^^^ Very bad advice. Hyundai timing belts should be changed it at 60K miles.

You're probably right saying better be safe than sorry, but a lot of factors like drivability and age may were up your belt faster or not. 60K is super safe. 188K + 6yrs is over extended... Still I don't think you need to panic if you ride over 60K on an Elantra belt. Newer elantra uses the same belts and Hyundai maintenance says to change them at 90K...

I just bought a used 2004 Elantra with 25K on it and I do plan to change the belt anyway. Why??? Because the car is 5 yrs old and was city driven (stop and go). My 2003 Elantra always was High Way driven. Changed the belt at 110K more because of age and Idler/Tensioner noise that belt wear. It easilly would have last and extra 25K with the kind of use I made out of this car.

Old 07-04-2009, 11:29 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by EricS
Still I don't think you need to panic if you ride over 60K on an Elantra belt. Newer elantra uses the same belts and Hyundai maintenance says to change them at 90K
^^^ Even more bad information. Hyundai maintenance says to change the belt at 4 years or 60K miles, whatever comes first. If you choose to wait longer then Hyundai will void your warranty.

Last edited by NovaResource; 07-04-2009 at 12:13 PM.
Old 07-04-2009, 01:01 PM

When I spoke about the newer cars I was referring to the Elantra HD
This is From a 2008 Elantra HD owner manual...
It's clear: Replace after 90K or 6yrs...

The Elantra XD timing assy is identical. I don't see why it wouldn't last as long...
Not to change it at 60K may void your engine waranty but only if the belt is the root cause of the failure.

Attached Thumbnails 2004 Elantra-Timing belt wear-elantra-maintenance.jpg  
Old 07-04-2009, 06:04 PM
Super Moderator

Sigh. That is the "NORMAL" maintenance schedule. However, the majority of cars on the road today are driven under what would be considered SEVERE driving.

Severe driving is repeated short distance driving, extended idling, heavy traffic, or hot weather. Driving in dusty or sandy conditions, rough roads, mountainous areas, or where salt or other corrosive materials are used in cold weather.

Check the Severe maintenance schedule and tell me what it says. And please stop giving out bad information.

Old 07-04-2009, 07:32 PM
Red face

No hard feelings SuperNova and I'm sorry my morning post almost ended up personal...
With that said I never gave the advice not to change the belt at 60K. All I was doing is to share my experience with these cars.
I did many belt jobs on these and haven't seen a badly worn belt event on the cars that ran over 60K or 4yrs.
Again this is my personal experience and I do not recommend to run it as long as you can.

To put it short
1- You're right: Timing Belt change should be planed at 60K or 4 yrs witch ever comes first. This is the best practice.
2- If you do pass 60K or the 4th anniversary of your car and have not done the belt job yet no need to panic and stop using your car.
The belt won't break instantaneously once you have pass theses recommended millage and time.
They will last longer but nobody knows how long...

OK! Hope we can be bud's now... BTW the wheels on you Tucson look awesome!

Quick Reply: 2004 Elantra-Timing belt wear