Hyundai Elantra While not much larger than the accent, the Elantra offers similar room, but a sportier look and feel, as well as more power.

2011 Elantra: Tape on the window frame!

Old 05-06-2011, 02:21 PM
Default 2011 Elantra: Tape on the window frame!

The weather here in Portland has been exceptionally dreary this year, so we haven't had a numerous amount of sunny days. However, we did have a nice day on Wednesday, which was the day I picked up my Elantra from the body shop after the incident with the rock.

My hubby and I were closely inspecting the work (it looked pretty darn good), when I noticed a DIFFERENT (and unrelated) problem. On left-hand, rear passenger door, along the rear part of the frame, there were some bubbles about the size of dimes. Upon closer inspection, we realized that, while part of the door is powder-coated, the rear-most piece is actually matte-black industrial tape!

We were able to push the bubbles upward, and when I got home I took an ice pack to it to cool the warm air and hopefully get some of that air out. It worked pretty well, although there are still some small bubbles near the top of the piece. The weather has stayed cloudy, so no saying as to whether those big bubbles will re-appear.

Needless to say, if this happens again, I will be paying the dealer another visit. The black tape seems to be on the rear portion of the doors. It's a small section, but enough to cause a visual problem. I took a pic with my phone while the bubbles were big, so I will have it as evidence.

Old 05-06-2011, 02:26 PM
Super Moderator

The door is not powder coated. The black frame is black tape. Lots of cars are that way and have been for years. My old 2003 Pontiac Vibe was that way.

Old 05-07-2011, 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by NovaResource
The door is not powder coated. The black frame is black tape. Lots of cars are that way and have been for years. My old 2003 Pontiac Vibe was that way.
I did not think the top part was, judging by the way it scratches, but perhaps you are right. Just because lots of cars are that way doesn't make it a good idea. My friend has a Matrix, same as the Vibe, and it is cheap in feel. I would love to have my 1977 Mercedes Benz 300D back. My bro hit a deer in it. That was a quality car in terms of materials.
So, Nova? What do you suggest I do?

Old 05-07-2011, 02:34 PM
Super Moderator

Do back to the dealer and have them replace the tape under warranty.