Hyundai Elantra While not much larger than the accent, the Elantra offers similar room, but a sportier look and feel, as well as more power.

2012 Elantra Rear Tire Wear

Old 01-23-2012, 10:47 AM
Default 2012 Elantra Rear Tire Wear

I have a 2012 Elantra purchased 6 months ago and I have 17900 miles on it. I was just told my rear tires are totally worn out and need replacing. The dealer is trying to get comp but I told them I want a reason why they are worn. I dont want to have to replace again at 34,000. Anyone hear of any issues with this?

Old 01-23-2012, 11:02 AM
Super Moderator

Were the tires rotated? I'm guessing not since the front haven't worn out. Tires should be rotated every 5,000 to 7,500 miles.

Old 01-23-2012, 02:19 PM

I am almost glad I didn't rotate. First thing the dealer asked was if I was the only driver and do people drive it that spin wheels? I said they are the original rear tires and its front wheel drive. I am looking to see why it wears the back out so fast. I cant afford to go through tires this fast.

Old 01-23-2012, 07:40 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by drhbmp
I am almost glad I didn't rotate.
^^There's your problem.

I am looking to see why it wears the back out so fast.
Because you didn't rotate the tires.

I cant afford to go through tires this fast.
Your tires would have lasted twice as long of you had rotated them. All 4 tires would have been worn out at about 35,800 miles. Exactly about what the factory rating is.

Old 01-24-2012, 07:53 AM

Maybe I should rephrase my question... On the Hyundai Elantra why do the rear tires wear out faster than the front?

Old 01-24-2012, 08:08 AM
Super Moderator

Maybe I should rephrase my answer... Because you didn't rotate the tires.

Tire rotation is required on all cars. Hyundai specifies every 7,500 miles. Check your owners manual.

Yes, I know what you are asking, but without seeing the tires and the type of wear, there is no way to answer your question. If they just wore out normally it was from not rotating them. If they wore out from irregular wear (cupping, feathering, one edge more than another, the center more than the outside, the outside more than the center, etc) then maybe it was an alignment issue with the rear wheels.

Last edited by NovaResource; 01-24-2012 at 08:26 AM.
Old 01-25-2012, 07:19 AM

Well, I am not buying the tire rotation explanation. Yes 17K in 6 months is a lot, but he really only missed 2 rotations. All of the tread cannot be missing because he did not rotate.

I think more needs to be known about the wear (as stated above) before a cause can be determined. How much tread is left. Is it typical non-rotation excessive wear on one side. Do the tires look deformed?

All that aside, the advice above is 100% dead on. Rotate tires.

Old 01-26-2012, 08:59 AM

I missed one rotation... At 15000 miles with bad weather coming up I said I dont want them on the front. The dealer was puzzled at the wear too. Anyway lets see how the new tires do.

Old 04-26-2012, 08:47 AM

OK here is an update... At 22,000 miles the tires they rotated to the back at 17,000 miles were totally worn out... So that means the rear of my car went through 4 tires in 22000 miles. I took it back and demanded they do something and they had Hyundai come out and look at it. They ended up replacing the whole rear sub frame and put 2 brand new tires on it. Now it is just a waiting game to see if that took care of the problem.

Old 07-18-2012, 10:52 AM
Default elantra rear tire wear

I have a 2012 elantra with 23000 miles. Bad road noise from the rear-dealer tells me my rear tires are worn out AND I NEED A 4 WHEEL ALIGNMENT.. I TAKE THE CAR HOME TO INSPECT--TURNS OUT I HAVE A SOLID REAR AXLE WHICH CANNOT BE ALIGNED. THIS IS KNOWN PROBLEM WITH ELANTRAS--THE REAR TIRES SEEM TO BE IN A TOE OUT ALIGNMENT FROM THE FACTORY. THEY WILL BLAME IT ON NOT ROTATING THE TIRES BUT THATS NOT THE PROBLEM. WHY ROTATE AND WEAR OUT 4 TIRES IN 25K WHEN THE PROBLEM LIES IN THE REAR AXLE ALIGNMENT. I'M WAITING TO SEE WHAT HYANDAI PROPOSES TO FIX THE PROBLEM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2012 Elantra Rear Tire Wear