Hyundai Elantra While not much larger than the accent, the Elantra offers similar room, but a sportier look and feel, as well as more power.

2012 Elantra Rear Tire Wear

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by keeterhad
I have a 2012 elantra with 23000 miles. Bad road noise from the rear-dealer tells me my rear tires are worn out AND I NEED A 4 WHEEL ALIGNMENT.. I TAKE THE CAR HOME TO INSPECT--TURNS OUT I HAVE A SOLID REAR AXLE WHICH CANNOT BE ALIGNED. THIS IS KNOWN PROBLEM WITH ELANTRAS--THE REAR TIRES SEEM TO BE IN A TOE OUT ALIGNMENT FROM THE FACTORY. THEY WILL BLAME IT ON NOT ROTATING THE TIRES BUT THATS NOT THE PROBLEM. WHY ROTATE AND WEAR OUT 4 TIRES IN 25K WHEN THE PROBLEM LIES IN THE REAR AXLE ALIGNMENT. I'M WAITING TO SEE WHAT HYANDAI PROPOSES TO FIX THE PROBLEM.

I demanded that Hyundai come out and they did. I have 7,000 miles on it since they replaced the Sub Frame. The tires do not appear to be wearing out but still too few miles to know for sure. Keep on them and get the tires replaced for free...

Old 08-13-2012, 06:38 PM

Rear tires shouldn't wear...all they do is follow. They don't steer, push, or pull.

Old 08-13-2012, 09:02 PM

It would be the shocks my friend...i have seen it too many times. but its weird because if you replaced the tires and shocks at the same time....that kind of wear is an up and down not a toe or camber issue.

Old 03-12-2014, 11:56 PM
Default Excessive rear tire wear

Originally Posted by drhbmp
OK here is an update... At 22,000 miles the tires they rotated to the back at 17,000 miles were totally worn out... So that means the rear of my car went through 4 tires in 22000 miles. I took it back and demanded they do something and they had Hyundai come out and look at it. They ended up replacing the whole rear sub frame and put 2 brand new tires on it. Now it is just a waiting game to see if that took care of the problem.
How did this work out for you, did it solve or at least improve your situation? I bought a 2011 new, original rears completely worn at 15,500. Next set was rotated to make everyone happy, rears wore twice as fast as the fronts (checked with depth gauge). Studded snow tires on different wheels, same result. Dealer just shrugs and says oh well. Why do the rear tires on a front wheel drive 2700 lb. car wear so fast?

Old 03-27-2014, 08:47 PM
Default Rotation IS NOT the problem!

Originally Posted by NovaResource
^^There's your problem.

Because you didn't rotate the tires.

Your tires would have lasted twice as long of you had rotated them. All 4 tires would have been worn out at about 35,800 miles. Exactly about what the factory rating is.
I rotated my tires regularly on my 2012 Elantra Limited and began experience loud road noise at around 25,000 and lots of cupping on the tires. I am replacing my Continentals at 31,000. There is a rear end alignment problem with Hyundai's of different makes and models especially late model Elantra(s). While rotation will hold back the inevitable premature wearing; the real problem is the non-adjustable rear alignment. Check out Hyundai Alignment Issues -- Lemon Law Defect Alert and other places in this forum.

Old 03-27-2014, 08:51 PM
Default Excellent! Don't accept the blame for their known problem!

Originally Posted by drhbmp
OK here is an update... At 22,000 miles the tires they rotated to the back at 17,000 miles were totally worn out... So that means the rear of my car went through 4 tires in 22000 miles. I took it back and demanded they do something and they had Hyundai come out and look at it. They ended up replacing the whole rear sub frame and put 2 brand new tires on it. Now it is just a waiting game to see if that took care of the problem.
Don't allow any moderator to place the blame on you for rear tires wearing out twice as fast at the front. It should never happen with front wheel drive no matter if there infrequent rotation!

Old 03-28-2014, 07:07 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by jhwalk57
I rotated my tires regularly on my 2012 Elantra Limited and began experience loud road noise at around 25,000 and lots of cupping on the tires. I am replacing my Continentals at 31,000. There is a rear end alignment problem with Hyundai's of different makes and models especially late model Elantra(s). While rotation will hold back the inevitable premature wearing; the real problem is the non-adjustable rear alignment. Check out Hyundai Alignment Issues -- Lemon Law Defect Alert and other places in this forum.
You didn't read everything I wrote. Read and comprehend before opening your big mouth:
Originally Posted by NovaResource
Maybe I should rephrase my answer... Because you didn't rotate the tires.

Tire rotation is required on all cars. Hyundai specifies every 7,500 miles. Check your owners manual.

Yes, I know what you are asking, but without seeing the tires and the type of wear, there is no way to answer your question. If they just wore out normally it was from not rotating them. If they wore out from irregular wear (cupping, feathering, one edge more than another, the center more than the outside, the outside more than the center, etc) then maybe it was an alignment issue with the rear wheels.
And yes, the rear alignment is adjustable.

Originally Posted by jhwalk57
Don't allow any moderator to place the blame on you for rear tires wearing out twice as fast at the front. It should never happen with front wheel drive no matter if there infrequent rotation!
Wrong again. Please stop posting incorrect information.