Hyundai Elantra While not much larger than the accent, the Elantra offers similar room, but a sportier look and feel, as well as more power.

2012 Elantra Stereo system

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 07:29 AM
Default 2012 Elantra Stereo system

Just bought the 2012 Elantra limited with NAV. It claims to have a 360W stereo system with external AMP. I have to have it up all the way to even hear it almost normally. Can anyone tell me what the external amp is and if there are any adjustments on it? Or do I need to take it back it back in to have them look at the stereo?

Thanks

Old 09-06-2011, 08:00 AM
Super Moderator

The car is new with a full warranty. Go back to the dealer.

Old 09-06-2011, 08:03 AM

I just wanted to see if there were any similar issues or if I was missing something?

Old 09-14-2011, 06:32 PM

Okay! I thought I was the only one with this issue. I just brought my car three days ago and the stereo system SUX. I too have the limited and I purposely brought that so I wouldnt have to invest in a system. I went to Best Buy to see if I could just replace the speakers, but because the amp in the car is external, they said they would have to gut the whole system out and rewire the whole car. To make things worse, Hyundai could have used fiber optic wires, and if that is the case, there is nothing Best Buy could do. I came on this forum to see if anyone ever changed out their stereo system in the Elantra. They claim that it is 360watts, but it sounds more like 20 watts!

I am pissed that a 2021 stereo sounds like it was made on 1970......

Old 09-14-2011, 06:33 PM

I am going to write Hyundai and see what they say....

Old 09-15-2011, 07:41 AM

Hey keep us informed I'd love to hear what they say. I'm sure it will be some run around!!

Old 09-15-2011, 09:56 AM

No problem. I am going to the dealership after work today too. I think they forgot to put the amp in! I will let you know what happens......

Old 09-15-2011, 07:33 PM

Okay. Here is the story thus far. I went to the dealership and talked to someone in the service department. He gave my car the once over, but admitted that the system sounded weak. Then we went to another Limited and lo and behold, the system sucked too. So it seems like we are stucked with this issue. The good news: He put me on to this site- Hyundai Service Website. You have to register and pick the Hyundai you have. For us it will be the Elantra(ud). Go to detail search. I put the word amplifier and what it did was gave me detailed location of where it was at in the car. I also found out exactly where the wiring is, but the most interesting thing I found was that the max output was 360 watts, but the RATED watts of the amp was 200!!!! So are we getting shorted on the power? idk, but I will print out the page and bring it to Best Buy to see what they say.

The bottom line is that I THINK that we can upgrade the system, with this information from this website. The diagram is there, so granted we may have to come out of pocket a bit, but anything is better than what is in there. now

I will report back Monday or Tuesday when I go to Best Buy

Old 09-16-2011, 11:57 PM
Smile

Originally Posted by avbavb
Okay. Here is the story thus far. I went to the dealership and talked to someone in the service department. He gave my car the once over, but admitted that the system sounded weak. Then we went to another Limited and lo and behold, the system sucked too. So it seems like we are stucked with this issue. The good news: He put me on to this site- Hyundai Service Website. You have to register and pick the Hyundai you have. For us it will be the Elantra(ud). Go to detail search. I put the word amplifier and what it did was gave me detailed location of where it was at in the car. I also found out exactly where the wiring is, but the most interesting thing I found was that the max output was 360 watts, but the RATED watts of the amp was 200!!!! So are we getting shorted on the power? idk, but I will print out the page and bring it to Best Buy to see what they say.

The bottom line is that I THINK that we can upgrade the system, with this information from this website. The diagram is there, so granted we may have to come out of pocket a bit, but anything is better than what is in there. now

I will report back Monday or Tuesday when I go to Best Buy
Hi AVBAV, If you are worried about the amp wattage. I suspect it to be an advertiser's gimmick. Have you heard of PMPO? Peak Music Power Output or Peak Momentary Performance Output.. So, a 360watt PMPO amp will actually be 200watt amp but momentarily might go upto 360watt sound. I am sure thats not the case with the amp in the car.. but just a thought that we should not believe numbers as they are.
BTW.. I am picking up my car in two weeks.. GLS.. Its not 360watt.. but the sound seemed to be fine.. as I tested it on the test drive..

Old 11-04-2011, 02:44 PM
Default P Bass not working?

Just got my new GLS four days ago. It doesn't seem like changing the P Bass setting does anything at all. Anyone else have a similar problem? I'll go back to the #$$!@$# dealer, I guess.

Also anyone had the speakers changed?

Quick Reply: 2012 Elantra Stereo system