Hyundai Elantra While not much larger than the accent, the Elantra offers similar room, but a sportier look and feel, as well as more power.

2013 Elantra Noise Issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2014, 07:16 AM
Default 2013 Elantra Noise Issues

Hi everybody, I have a 2013 Elantra with 7000 miles that has the common clanking,ticking noise when starting first thing in morning. It seems this is a common complaint about this car along with the high pitch squel on statup that lasts for a few seconds. Everybody who posts about it never finishes post if issue was resolved by dealer. When I call dealer they say it is because of direct injection. This motor is not direct inj. The noise is so bad when it is cold out you can hear it from my third floor apartment. When engine warms up you can still hear tapping from pass side of motor. This is not a Hyundai bash thread but this is not normal to me. Also the car does not idle right. At a stop light idle is like 625 and whole car shimmys when releasing brake idle goes to 750 and car idles smooth. My question is has anybody gotten this fixed, the clanking at start up. I will be taking back to dealership but they seem to think this is normal for engine not in my eyes. Any advice will be appreciated very embarrassing for a brand new car doing this. Please do not say to use Hyundai filter it has one on it.
Mar

Old 12-01-2014, 06:28 AM

There is I believe a ecm update for cold start cvvt noise. If that's been done sound s like the cvvt is bad. We have had a few in our shop and replacing the cam phaser fixed the problem

Old 12-02-2014, 09:19 PM

Okay, I will keep this in mind when I bring it to dealership. Just waiting for cold morning to record noise before I go to dealership . Thanks for reply.

Old 01-31-2015, 06:23 PM

Heard about the ticking, but my 2013 Elantra never had the sound(now at 25,000 miles). Used 100% gasoline(no 10% ethanol blends). Very quiet, smooth, a trace better low rpm torque.... & 8% better mpg than 10% ethanol blends.

Old 02-01-2015, 08:36 AM

Just an update, took to dealership third time said running as designed. Now the car when you first start it makes a howling noise as if a alternator belt was to tight like on older cars with separate belts for alternator etc. The ticking has died down but still present at idle whereas other Elantra's you don't hear it. Car has 8400 miles, it's a lease so will be dumping it then switching to anything but Hyundai, all set with brand.

Old 02-15-2015, 10:03 PM

wind noise inside my hyunda elantra at speeds (50+)

Old 03-15-2015, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by Paul Dennis
wind noise inside my hyunda elantra at speeds (50+)
Start looking for a solution. On the new "quiet" road pavements, where road & tire noise are dramatically reduced, all 2013 Elantra sedan wind noise is also low for a small car. For the first(?) time, the "quiet pavement" road surfaces help the cheapest, smallest cars more than the expensive big cars...... a victory for the poor & less rich in society.

Old 10-03-2015, 01:39 PM

Well, just an update about noise issue. Have given up taking it to dealership but today was in a hyundai dealership picking up wipers and asked parts guy if they had any engine issues specific this ticking noise. He told me to turn around and there were crates of short lock engines for Elantras. Guy told me they replaced everything on the first one that came in cams, lifters still same issue. They then replaced block and it fixed it. They called Hyundai and they said it is an issue with piston wrist pin. This is the first dealership that has actually owned up to the issue and has found a fix. All other dealerships say nothing is wrong. Also heard Sonota engines are being recalled because of crankshaft oil issues. Just some info if people are trying to get there Elantra fixed. Parts guy said Hyundai pays for it no issues under warranty.

Old 12-04-2015, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by colnago
Hi everybody, I have a 2013 Elantra with 7000 miles that has the common clanking,ticking noise when starting first thing in morning.
Our 2013 auto Elantra never had clanking, but it did have the ticking. Outside the ticking, it still wasn't the quietest of engines, either. However our Elantra was so good, we bought a 2016 manual Elantra, which we also love. The 2016 Elantra is much more quiet & smooth at idle & is still very quiet even at higher rpms.