Hyundai Elantra While not much larger than the accent, the Elantra offers similar room, but a sportier look and feel, as well as more power.

Bluetooth AVRCP / iPhone 4

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 08:17 AM
Default Bluetooth AVRCP / iPhone 4

While test-driving a 2013 Elantra, I connected my iPhone 4 via Bluetooth to get a sense of how good the audio would sound. I noticed that I was not able to skip tracks with the steering wheel controls, nor did music playback stop on my iPhone when I shut off the stereo. Does the system not allow for AVRCP control?

The salesperson suggested that there's a setting on my phone that I can change to make this work, but that doesn't sound right to me... my wife's Acura Bluetooth system can control my iPhone playback without issue.

Any advice?

Old 03-26-2013, 08:36 AM
Super Moderator

You need the special Hyundai cable to connect to the system to use those controls.

Old 03-26-2013, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by NovaResource
You need the special Hyundai cable to connect to the system to use those controls.
Hmmm... I found an Elantra manual online (Hyundai Elantra owners manuals, user guides, repair, service manuals), and it states that "the audio system supports Bluetooth® A2DP (Audio Advanced Distribution Profile) and AVRCP (Audio Video Remote Control Profile) technologies"

How is the Elantra implementing AVRCP if not to allow for remote control of Bluetooth devices?

Old 03-26-2013, 11:15 AM
Super Moderator

I don't know what you are reading on that site but this is what I found there:

Hyundai Elantra: Using iPod® - Audio system - Features of your vehicle - Hyundai Elantra MD 2010-2013 Owners manual

Hyundai Elantra: Using iPod®

✽ NOTICE FOR USING THE iPod® DEVICE
  • Some iPod models might not support the communication protocol and the files will not be played. Supported iPod models:
    • iPod Mini
    • iPod 4th(Photo) ~ 6th(Classic) generation
    • iPod Nano 1st~4th generation
    • iPod Touch 1st~2nd generation
  • The order of search or playback of songs in the iPod can be different from the order searched in the audio system.
  • If the iPod disabled due to its own malfunction, reset the iPod. (Reset: Refer to iPod manual)
  • An iPod may not operate normally on low battery.
  • Some iPod devices, such as the iPhone, can be connected through the Bluetooth® interface. The device must have audio Bluetooth® capability (such as for stereo headphone Bluetooth®). The device can play, but it will not be controlled by the audio system.
CAUTION IN USING THE iPod® DEVICE
  • The Hyundai iPod Power Cable is needed in order to operate iPod with the audio buttons on the audio system.The USB cable provided by Apple may cause malfunction and should not be used for Hyundai vehicles.
    ❋ The Hyundai iPod Power Cable may be purchased through your Hyundai Dealership.
  • When connecting iPod with the iPod Power Cable, insert the connector to the multimedia socket completely. If not inserted completely, communications between iPod and audio may be interrupted.
  • When adjusting the sound effects of the iPod and the audio system, the sound effects of both devices will overlap and might reduce or distort the quality of the sound.
  • Deactivate (turn off) the equalizer function of an iPod when adjusting the audio system’s volume, and turn off the equalizer of the audio system when using the equalizer of an iPod.
  • When the iPod cable is connected, the system can be switched to AUX mode even without iPod device and may cause noise. Disconnect the iPod cable when you are not using the iPod device.
  • When not using iPod with car audio, detach the iPod cable from iPod. Otherwise, iPod may remain in accessory mode, and may not work properly.
  • When connecting the iPod, use the USB/AUX terminals.
  • When disconnecting the iPod, disconnect both the USB/AUX terminal.
  • The iPod exclusive cable must be connected to both the USB/AUX terminals for iPod charging and operations to be supported.

Old 03-26-2013, 11:32 AM

I don't know what you are reading on that site
I'm looking here: Hyundai Elantra: Bluetooth® Audio Music Streaming - Bluetooth® phone operation (if equipped) - Features of your vehicle - Hyundai Elantra MD 2010-2013 Owners manual

It states that the Elantra's Bluetooth audio system supports both A2DP (streaming only) and AVRCP (streaming + control) protocols. A2DP is streaming only, AVRCP is streaming + control. All I'm wondering is: if Hyundai's intention was to allow streaming only, why would they bother including AVRCP?

Old 03-26-2013, 12:23 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by brijazz
I'm looking here: Hyundai Elantra: Bluetooth® Audio Music Streaming - Bluetooth® phone operation (if equipped) - Features of your vehicle - Hyundai Elantra MD 2010-2013 Owners manual

It states that the Elantra's Bluetooth audio system supports both A2DP (streaming only) and AVRCP (streaming + control) protocols. A2DP is streaming only, AVRCP is streaming + control. All I'm wondering is: if Hyundai's intention was to allow streaming only, why would they bother including AVRCP?
You will have to ask Hyundai that. This is just a forum of enthusiasts, not Hyundai employees, designers, techs or engineers.

Bottom line: you need the cable if you want to control the iPod/Phone with the cars audio system.

Old 03-26-2013, 12:31 PM

You will have to ask Hyundai that. This is just a forum of enthusiasts, not Hyundai employees, designers, techs or engineers.
Right, I realize that. Just thought someone would have an answer... and with that:

Bottom line: you need the cable if you want to control the iPod/Phone with the cars audio system.
This does not seem to be entirely true. After poking around some other forums, the real issue seems to be that iOS 6 (the current operating system for iPhone) implements AVRCP v1.4 a little differently than other phones, with a deviation from the Bluetooth standard. iPhones with older versions of iOS (and other brands of smartphones) apparently seem to be controllable from the steering wheel over Bluetooth. Seems like it's up to Apple to become compliant.

Thanks for your help.

Old 03-31-2013, 02:53 PM

Nope. Just took delivery on my Elantra, and the Apple 30-pin cable works just fine, even with the steering wheel controls. Furthermore, I am also able to control audio streaming from my iPhone over Bluetooth as well (the steering wheel controls work here, too).