Hyundai Elantra While not much larger than the accent, the Elantra offers similar room, but a sportier look and feel, as well as more power.

brakes

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2006, 02:09 AM
Default brakes

I just installed front rotors on my elantra (non factory) though O.E. quality except for the holes for the retaining screws that hold the brake rotor to the hub do not line up. Are these screws necessary or can I leave them off with just the lugs holding the rotors on without any worry. Thanks.

Old 01-18-2006, 03:06 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: brakes

These ar e very necessary, do not leave them off. Worst case scenario just drill new holes in the rotor and go from there.

Old 01-18-2006, 06:59 PM

Posted a question about elantra front rotors and forgot to ask: What is the purpose of the two retaining screws-are they for alignment, a manufacturing process, or for rotor retention when the wheel is off. If you have the answer would like to know. Thanks for the answer to my previous post.

Old 01-30-2006, 09:48 PM

I wouldn't drill any holes in the rotor. This could make the rotor turn out of round. The four nuts that hold the rim really hold the rotor as well.

Old 02-01-2006, 03:15 PM
Super Moderator

If you rely strictly on the lugs to hold the rotor that can be a hazard. You have to make sure that the lugs are tight. If you bend a rim the rotor with bounce around damaging key components. Lastly, God forbid a ball-joint fails you have just lost some of your brake assembly.

Old 02-05-2006, 06:11 PM

as a master technician, FORGET THE STUPID LITTLE SCREW!!! its only purpose is to hold the rotor to the hub while its traveling down the assembly line. only a handfull of import vehicles use this setup, and its horrible, being 90% of vehicles running around dont use this setup. i mean, come on, rust is going to take over and hold everything together, anyway, that and your lugnuts, which should be properly torqued with a torque wrench set to 80ft lbs.
and if you dont believe me, just pop the wheel off of any gm, ford or chrysler, you wont find that little screw!!

Old 02-06-2006, 12:47 AM
Super Moderator

Someone is a little crabby. I just think it is better to be safe than sorry. I don,t know the exact setup on that vehicle, I was simply tring to cover all the bases. Some vehicles rely on the little pointless items to keep them safe. The caliper isn't the same on all makes and can't always be relied on. I wasn't saying that I am super Jesus and know everything, I was simply giving some advice that would ensure safety. Settle down my friend.

Old 04-19-2006, 04:51 PM

I agree with mnstrmech to the fullest. those rotors are too large to rely on a two tiny little screws to hold them in place. They are put there to hold the rotor on during the manufacturing process. Several machanics have told me this.

Old 04-23-2006, 12:21 PM

like said above, the 2 screws are from the factory to guide the "robots" in installing them properly and holding them in place while the car goes down the assembly line.
throw them 2 b/s screws away.

btw, go to elantraxd.com
tons of elantra owners that have all the tricks to getting your xd the way you want it.

Old 04-24-2006, 03:38 PM

sorry but ive got to agree as a fellow master tech i dont believe the screws are that important as the wheel nuts hold the disc in place and believe me you cant get the disc off without also removing the brake calliper too.[sm=itsok.gif]

Quick Reply: brakes