Hyundai Elantra While not much larger than the accent, the Elantra offers similar room, but a sportier look and feel, as well as more power.

Break Trouble

Old 05-07-2007, 06:02 PM
Default Break Trouble

My Hyundai Elentra 2000 has brake trouble. I know that I am going to have to take it to a shop butI want to make sure that I know what I am going to be in for. Please help if someone can. My brother has changed my back breaks for me. The driver side would not bleed out. The passenger did fine. He informed me that there was trouble bleeding that side of the car. I drove the car and it appeared to be fine. Brakes were breaking with no trouble. I cancelled my apt with the local mechanic. We assumed that there must have been a clog in the line and it ran its course. Now nearly 1 month later I was sitting at a stop and the brake peddle slowly went to the floor. Upon driving the brakes would resume then again, go to the floor at the stop. All the signs point to the master cylinder but since my brother had done the breaks I am thinking that it’s the break line still. I checked the fluid level and that was fine. Any suggestions?

I am able to stop, but going to the floor.

Old 10-03-2007, 07:08 AM
Default RE: Break Trouble

I know this is a late response butI just joined the forum a few munites ago, anyways I had the same problem with my 05 Elantra. I took the car to the dealer several times (about 4) and was told that the brake was working fine in accordancewith manufacture specifations and guidelines. I then said to hell with them and took my car to a friend who is a mechanic (who had told me to take it to the daler since it is under warranty). He then fixed the problem by bleeding the brake lines (removing air)and raising the brake pedal. The problem was not a 100% fix (more like85%-90%)but it has been over one and half year since the fix and have had no problems. Pedal no longer goes to the floor and stopping is great. I had also thought is was the maser cylinder but low and behold it was not.

By the way always use Hyundai brake pads they work alot better in my opinion.

Old 06-06-2016, 12:19 PM

is there air in the system or not? how to determine! siting in the car at the driver seat car not running pump the sh t out of the brake pedal six or 10 times and hold the pedal remember where the the brake is in relation to height off the floor. Then wait twenty seconds or so and stomp the pedal just 1 time is there a difference in pedal height? if there is a difference in height you have got air in the system... you can do this as many times as needed to determine if there is air