Hyundai Elantra While not much larger than the accent, the Elantra offers similar room, but a sportier look and feel, as well as more power.

Camshaft timing, 16 valve, 2.0

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 06:41 PM
Default Camshaft timing, 16 valve, 2.0

Is there an article for timing the cams and installing the chain on a 2000 2.0 16 valve Elantra available anywhere online?

TIA

Dave

Old 03-10-2008, 09:01 PM
Default RE: Camshaft timing, 16 valve, 2.0

Go to http://www.hmaservice.com/, register and log in. The information you want is under the Shop catagory. Enter your model, year and engine information in the boxes that will appear in the upper left and drill down through the menu system under the engine designation. What you specifically are looking for is under Engine Mechanical Systems > Timing System > Timing Belt. The timing chain that connects the two cams is found under Engine Mechanical Systems > Main Moving System > Camshafts.

Old 03-11-2008, 08:35 AM

Thanks Ken! The fun begins tonite!

Old 03-11-2008, 08:53 AM
Super Moderator

Here is what you'll see there; if it isn't exactly what you want, go to the site and search around; you may be able to find more information.

Install damper pulley flange and crankshaft sprocket as shown. Pay close attention to their mounting direction.[/align]

Install the camshaft sprocket and tighten the bolt to the specified torque.[/align]

Align the timing marks of the camshaft sprocket and crankshaft sprocket with the No. 1 piston placed at top dead center of its compression stroke.[/align]

Install the timing belt tensioner and idler pulley.[/align]

Install the timing belt on the camshaft.[/align]When the timing belt is installed on the camshaft sprocket, make sure that the tension side is tight. Then tighten the timing belt tensioner pulley, pushing toward the water pump.[/align]

Turn the crankshaft one turn in operating direction (clockwise) and realign crankshaft sprocket timing mark.[/align]Do not turn the crankshaft in a counterclockwise direction. The crankshaft should turn smoothly.[/align]

Recheck the belt tension. The tension side of timing belt is pushed in horizontally with a moderate force [approx. 2kg (20N, 5lb)], the timing belt cog end is approx. 4-6mm (0.16-0.24 in.) away.[/align]

Install the timing belt cover.[/align]

Install the crankshaft pulley. In this case, make sure that the crankshaft sprocket pin fits the small hole in the pulley.[/align]

Install the coolant pump pulley.[/align]

Install the drive belt and adjust the belt tension.[/align]

Old 03-11-2008, 03:13 PM

Thanks! I have the alignment/timing figured out fine, along withthe reassembly. The only thing I was wondering was the actual process of installing the cam chain. I see now that the cams have to be taken out and reinstalled with the chain in place. I don't believe there are any chain tensioners on this head either.......
I'll have to double check when I get home. I don't understand why the rebuilder didn't install the chain.

Old 03-11-2008, 09:23 PM

I see now that the cams have to be taken out and reinstalled with the chain in place. I don't believe there are any chain tensioners on this head either.......
That chain is so short and the drive spockets are so close together, there's hardly room for a tightener, much less a need for one. I've never heard of one failing in a Hyundai or any other manufacturer that uses what I call a slave drive setup on the cams. Hmm...I would guess the rubber timing belt on the other end of the cams absorbs any punishment. Good luck on your rebuild.

Old 03-18-2008, 10:48 PM

don't follow the instructions on installing the cam chain found in the manual. you will get a check engine light for camshaft sensor. there is a tsb that shows the correct way of installing the chain.