Hyundai Elantra While not much larger than the accent, the Elantra offers similar room, but a sportier look and feel, as well as more power.

The Car Isn't Starting

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 10:57 AM
Question The Car Isn't Starting

Hi,

Just to get this out of the way; I'm a car-noob. I can put a computer together, I can develop a web site, but I'm still learning the In/Out of car repair.
I've got an '02 Elantra GLS. I tried to start the car the other day and it wouldn't turn. I didn't have any problems or indications of a problem when I turned it on that morning, but in the afternoon, it wouldn't turn on (while at the office). I thought it was the battery, but all the lights in the HUD look bright, the radio works, etc. I tried to get someone to jump the car and it still didn't start.

When I sank in the clutch and turned the key I would only get one quick sound from the engine. I'm not sure if it's trying to turn or what, but I'm going to guess that the wires to the starter is bad or the starter itself is bad. Is there a way to check both without having to remove the item?

At this point it's stuck at my job's parking deck. Thanks for any solutions.

Old 07-25-2011, 04:18 PM

My 2000 was doing the samething after i drove the car. If it's making a clicking sound trying tapping the starter witha hammer or a peice of wood. then try starting it. If it starts the starter solinode is going bad. If not check all the wires from the battery to the starter to include the starter fuse.