Hyundai Elantra While not much larger than the accent, the Elantra offers similar room, but a sportier look and feel, as well as more power.

car makes a squealing noise.

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 04:16 AM
Default car makes a squealing noise.

I have a hyundai elantra.

It has 90,500 miles on it and this has been happening ever since i got it at 76,000.

When i accelerate and get up to 30mph i notice the car seems to let go in power and i can hear a squealing noise when i am on the accelerator pedal. if i hold the pedal to stay around 30mph it just keeps squealing and gets louder as i push the pedal down.

While it is making the noise the car does not accelerate only if i push the pedal to the floor for a second. it continues to squeal intill i hit 40-45mph. and then the car seems to accelerate faster and better.

What could this noise be? its very distracting.

It only does it when the car is warm. if the car is cold or just turned on the car drives fine and no noise.

I also notice it only does it when it is warm out. it does not make the noise during winter months. or when it is very cold out.

Last edited by zappyisfun; 03-09-2010 at 04:19 AM.
Old 03-17-2010, 11:50 AM

Manual transmission or automatic. Sounds like a clutch. If manual, while rolling depress the clutch and blip the throttle and see if the noise is gone. If not its elsewhere under the hood (belt or bearing) but still could be a clutch throwout bearing.

Does the squeal increase of decrease in intensity or pitch then accelerating or idling?

Old 03-17-2010, 04:27 PM

Hi.

I have an automatic.

The noise gets louder if i push the pedal down further trying to reach 40+ then stops if i push it all the way down almost and make the engine rev. but it will return if im still going between 30-45mph and not on the pedal hard.

once i hit around 50mph the noise stops. if i am uinder 30mph the chirping/sqealing noise does not happen.but you can faintly hear it when i go from a stop for about a second.

i noticed that when it does it that my rpms drop from 2,000 to about 1,000-1500 and if im still on the pedal the rpms *try* to get up to 2,000 or so but then back down to 1500 fast and it keeps *trying* to get higher intill i reach 50+ mph

I can feel the car downshift when i hit 30mph and it seems like the car is not getting enough torqe?

somebody told me it could be my accessory belt. i am gonna get it looked at monday at a shop.

I would still like to hear your suggestions tho.

Thanks

Last edited by zappyisfun; 03-17-2010 at 04:38 PM.
Old 03-18-2010, 02:20 PM

A glazed belt can cause squealing but will not affect engine power or performance. It's a first step though. Usually you don't have to be moving to get a glazed belt to squeal...while in Park, just accelerate the car and it should squeal. A bad motor mount could also cause some bizarre drivetrain geometries that could cause some squealing. Put car in Drive and press on the brake hard. Now accelerate and the car will rev up to a fixed rpm (torque converter stall speed). You don't want to let the car move, just listen for a squeal. Anything? Anything different than before?

A belt is a first step, after that it gets expensive as it would be in the drivetrain/transmission.

Old 03-23-2010, 04:55 AM

Hi.

Well i brought it in for an oil change and i asked about the squealing/chirping sound and the mechanic saw that all 3 belts on my hyundia where cracked and gladed.

He replaced them and the oil change for $150 and now the squealing/chirping noise is gone!!!!!

Also i noticed the car does not squeal anymore when i turn my headlights on!

Such an easy fix and it took me 2 years to figure it out...LOL

Thanks for your suggestions.

The only other problem now is that the car still jerks at 30mph and the rpm will not go above 1500 enless i get to 50+mph or more. it try's but it does not. you can see the rpm meter jumping up and down between 1500-2000 if you are on the gas.

Like i said when the car is cold and i am going 30+ mph my rpm meter will be at about 2500 and seem too perform better. does that sound normal?

Do you think that could maybe be my timing belt? I got the car at 76,000 miles but i never replaced the timing belt and i am not sure if the other owner did or not.

EDIT: Also the mechanic told me my headlights are very milky and not alot of light is getting threw the headlight and the shop want's $75 to get the milky substance/residue off and *make them look brand new again*.. is that worth it? or is there a cheaper way.

Last edited by zappyisfun; 03-23-2010 at 04:59 AM.
Old 03-23-2010, 08:34 AM

is that worth it? or is there a cheaper way.

Go to your local auto parts store. They should have a kit with a polishing compound.
$7.00 and some elbow grease you should be good to go.

Old 05-19-2020, 08:13 PM

Did you ever figure out the problem? I have the same issues with my hyundai elantra 2013