Hyundai Elantra While not much larger than the accent, the Elantra offers similar room, but a sportier look and feel, as well as more power.

Clock won't turn off after jump start (2006 Elantra)

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 06:57 PM
Default Clock won't turn off after jump start (2006 Elantra)

My wife left an inside light on, and the battery ran out of power. Roadside Assistancegave me ajumpstartearlier today, and when I was sitting with the car running to charge the battery, I noticedthat the clock didn't display any numbers, just the solid background light. Now, when I turn off the ignition, turn off all interior lights, close doors, etc. (all the thingsone would normally do when leaving the car), that background light for the clock stays on.

Given this, I can only assume that the battery will be depleted again sometime soon. I read some posts from this forum, and went back to check if the radio was working (I saw a reference to both being on Fuse 25 in the fuse panel). The radio is working fine, the display shows what its supposed to (no error codes either).

My question is: does this mean I need to change a fuse, or is there something wrong with the clock in the car?

If there is more information I can provide to help a diagnosis, please let me know.

Thanks in advance,
Greg Rackett

Old 01-05-2008, 09:06 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Clock won't turn off after jump start (2006 Elantra)

Is it just the clock, or are your panel and markerlights on too? Does the dimmer work?

Old 01-06-2008, 07:16 AM

It's just the clock. All other lights turn off as they should. The dimmer works on the other dashboard lights, but doesn't affect the clock.

Old 01-06-2008, 07:21 AM

Yeah, just the clock. It seems to me that the backlight for the clock stays on, (meaning it must be shorted out and or broke). I would follow directions in your manual to diagnose this further. Should be an easy task.... Good luck.

Old 01-06-2008, 08:24 AM

The only reference to the clock in my manual that I could find was the description of the three buttons to change the settings (Hour, Minute, Reset).

The troubleshooting advice for dashboards lights talks about the odometer, speedometer, dimmer, etc. being off and unable to come on, but I did not see anything about a backlight not turning off.

I have to bring the car in for an oil change soon, so I'll probably get it done early to have the clock looked at too.

Thanks.

Old 01-06-2008, 08:56 AM

Where exactly is your clock located????

Old 01-06-2008, 10:02 AM

It's in the standard place (see picture)

[IMG]local://upfiles/4950/CF15A1DBB4C54483B8D0C5225D6291C9.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-06-2008, 10:14 AM

Ok thanks. So, it's above the hazard light switch? I've been viewing the shop section of that Hyundai website for your vehicle and It tells you how to disassemble the Instrument panel, (dashboard) to access the clock mechanism from behind the panel. I would imagine that all you will have to do is just replace the clock by itself.

Old 01-06-2008, 10:17 AM

Try this website; http://www.hmaservice.com/.

Register and coose a screename and they will send you a password.

Choose your vehicle and you can browse through the service manual. It's awesome..

Old 01-06-2008, 10:19 AM

Are you going by a Haynes repair manual, Owner's manual or Chilton, (If they have one yet)?

Quick Reply: Clock won't turn off after jump start (2006 Elantra)