Hyundai Elantra While not much larger than the accent, the Elantra offers similar room, but a sportier look and feel, as well as more power.

Cranks but no start, no spark, no code etc.

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 01:12 AM
Default Cranks but no start, no spark, no code etc.

Hi,
I got a 2000 Hyundai Elantra 2.0 and a few days ago it just wouldn't start. It cranks but doesn't start. Checked everything. Battery is good, coil pack is brand new, starter is good, fuses are good, I believe it is getting fuel for when I checked the plugs they smell like fuel, plugs and wires are new, checked the cam sensor and the signals are good, same with the crankshaft position sensor. And its not throwing any codes at all which really sucks! I checked for power to the coil pack and its getting power, but its not getting spark from the coil pack to the wires,(just pulled out the plug wire from the coil pack a little while my friend cranks it, and no spark), but its a brand new coil pack, I am not sure its the correct coil pack for the ad said its for a 99,2000 and 2001 elantra. But isnt the elantra from 00-01 different gens? The only thing I can think of is that I got a defective brand new coil pack. Would be so much easier if it threw a code. It was driving fine last time I drove it, on a side note, it was raining hard that night. The next day, doesn't run. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks

Last edited by collegemike; 01-05-2011 at 01:17 AM.
Old 01-05-2011, 02:36 PM

No one has any ideas what it could be?

Old 01-05-2011, 03:52 PM

Update: Just replaced the coil pack with a new oem one, still no spark. I'm so lost on what it could possibly be.

Old 01-07-2011, 01:52 PM

Check all relays, fuses, and fusable links. Just a thought.

Old 01-08-2011, 07:41 PM

Turned out to be the crankshaft position sensor! The only reason why I replaced it is because the specs were barely off and I couldn't think of it being anything else. But not the car vibrates and has slow acceleration. I only replaced the coils and that sensor.

Old 01-09-2011, 12:55 AM

What was your old crankshaft position sensor reading compared to the spec??

Just curious as I'm having a similar issue.

Old 01-09-2011, 03:14 PM

Bernd- sent you a message

Old 01-15-2011, 05:06 PM

collegemike, how did you test the crank sensor? I'm having basically the EXACT same symptoms on my mom's car. It's also a 2000 Elantra 2.0. and just suddenly wouldn't start the other day. I replaced plugs, wires, and coil and still won't start.

I tested the crank position sensor and it read 813 ohms but I'm not certain I did it properly. It has three pins and I fooled around until I was able to get a reading on two of them, but I'm not certain if that's the proper method.

Old 01-16-2011, 10:26 AM

On your 2000 Elantra, the resistance of the crank position sensor should be measured by unplugging the sensor, and on the sensor side of the harness, measure the resistance between terminals 3 and 2 (which would be the two terminals on the left side when the little bump on the connector is pointing up). The resistance should be between 486 and 594 ohms at 68 degrees f.

Yours sounds like it out of spec.

Old 01-16-2011, 12:26 PM

Thanks for the reply. I actually last night just went ahead and bought a new crank sensor for it. Out of curiosity, I tested the new sensor before putting it on, and it read 899 ohms.

I came across this thread:

https://www.hyundaiforum.com/forum/s...ead.php?t=5289

in which the OP bought a brand new sensor from Hyundai and it tested at 869 ohms right out of the box and he theorized the range listed per Hyundai must be wrong.

Anyway, I put in the new crank sensor and the car still won't start. So I'm kind of at my wits end

Quick Reply: Cranks but no start, no spark, no code etc.