Hyundai Elantra While not much larger than the accent, the Elantra offers similar room, but a sportier look and feel, as well as more power.

fuel smell

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 05:37 PM
Default fuel smell

Start fairly new to this forum, did a recent search because of trouble I was having with multiple misfire codes. The previous threads and posts on this subject helped greatly. Basically the 2000 Elantra has been running rough, when I pushed it,(go fast quickly) the SEL light came on, if I didn't push it, eventually the light would turn off. Pretty much all the time though you could smell unburn fuel when you turned off the car and exited the passenger compartment. In the posts here, everyone said take care of the basics, change plugs, wires before doing the coil paks. I initially changed the plugs and instantly the car ran strong as ever, could push the "envelope " again and everything. A little less than the week later it started the same symptoms and the one time I pushed it the SEL light came back on. I then changed the wires, for two weeks now I have been running it strong, even pushing it again to see if the "low end" pushing would trip the SEL light and I have yet to even sense the sluggish that has prevailed for the last couple months prior to my interventions. It seems to be fixed except for the gas smell. I have an emissions test coming up next month. Other than the gas smell, I am of the opinion that it is running well enough to pass. That gas smell is the one guestion I have as to whether it will pass or fail.
Anyone want to suggest what might be the fix I need. There is about 115,000 miles on the motor.

Last edited by target; 10-08-2012 at 05:41 PM.
Old 10-09-2012, 09:15 AM
Super Moderator

If the Check Engine Light came on then there are codes stored in the computer. You have to get the computer scanned to find the codes. Can't help much without the codes.

Old 10-10-2012, 06:38 AM

Sorry, did take to Autozone and two codes came out, I forget which cylinder was identified as misfiring, and the other code was multiple cylinder misfires. Reading previous posts, I saw that was a common theme people were reporting. I believe some people were changing coil packs, but our experienced forum members suggested starting with plugs and wires and they nailed it for me, the car is still running as strong as ever but getting a gas smell. I will check the fuel filter for tight fittings, I did change that prior to me almost putting in a new fuel pump when I originally thought with the bogging and chugging there was a fuel delivery problem - thank goodness for this forum - that would have been wasted $$