Hyundai Elantra While not much larger than the accent, the Elantra offers similar room, but a sportier look and feel, as well as more power.

DashLight spedometer light is out ..all other lights work

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2013, 07:52 AM
Default DashLight spedometer light is out ..all other lights work

Short: Can anyone help determine which bulbs light the speedometer?

Long story:
I might have screwed up...
Ive had a problem with the dashlight dimmer switch for sometime. If I exercised the dimmer roll-**** it would work, but hit a bump and it would go out, hit another bump and it would come on. ..etc..etc..

Yesterday, instead of buying a new dash dimmer switch, I took the dash apart and tried to just jumper the Dimmer switch out.
By sticking a wire across the 3wire plug on the dimmer, I thought it would be in full-on mode. Instead I heard a small "pop" noise and now the dimmer doesnt work at all when I plugged the 3wire plug back in.

Luckily everything else does, all lights blinkers, dummy lights on the dashboard all work. Radio light works....

- seems everything except the main dash-"background" light, spedometer light doesnt work.

So now I took the dash out for the first time and looked at the odd array of bulbs... I cant find which ones Im looking for and would like to ohm out the bulbs to see if I need the bulbs replaced?

I checked every fuse on the inside fuse panel- all good. So Im assuming I blew the bulb on the dash? maybe?

My main issue is "Can anyone help determine which bulbs the speedometer would be?"

Old 06-09-2013, 08:58 AM

add: I checked the bulbs they are good, not open.
add: Also checked the plug to the dimmer and I only get .240vdc....possible the lights on the thermostat unit arent working either, nor the blower vent selector positions?
Is this normal?

Old 06-11-2013, 09:09 AM

more info...ok, last night I found out the rear right tailight was out too, with headlamps on...also known as the Parking lights.

then i noticed the Right front parking light was out too....

so the Dash, the front and rear Parking lights were out.

I checked all the fuses again under the dash....nothing found.
Bought a new bulb for the rear tailight, no change....

I took it to the Dealer, $105 for Diagnostic (which will be applied to repair if I choose to have them repair it)....

REPAIR/DIAGNOSTIC Hyundai:
1hr later they had the right side Parking lights fixed said it was the RightS fuse under the dash!! (embarrassing for me, and mind boggling somewhat as I had checked the fuses 3 times!! with the dvm? hmmm)

The Dimmer switch was deemed shorted and is why the Dash lights dont work, which they think probably caused the blowing of the right side lights, the Mechanic/Tech stated. They want $63 for the Dimmer switch and will install for free due to the $105 for Diagnostic I paid. On order.......

Anyway, just posting this for anyone else....

The root cause I already knew was the dimmer switch going out, but I stuck a jumper and shorted the voltage to ground by stupidity on my part.
Had I just bought the dimmer switch and installed a new one I would have saved approx.. $100 and several hours of troubleshooting.

Lucky it wasnt the BCM ~$600, and lucky I found the lights out before the police did...

Measure across the Fuses for Voltage (not resistance- that was my mistake.)
If there is a blown fuse a voltage will be seen, if the fuse is good then no potential, and voltmeter will read ov = good.

Or take the fuse out of the circuit/out of the fuse box, and measure = 0 ohm =good...which I didnt do either.

No...I overlooked a very basic thing, and in a hurry, cost me $105.

Last edited by ElantraMan; 06-11-2013 at 11:45 AM.
Old 01-05-2017, 07:52 AM
Default The mystery is solved

I had a problem with the illumination of my dashboard. The indicators, handbrake and all other lights worked but the actual bulbs to illuminate the board wouldnt work. After numerous forums and no answers I took matters into my own hands. Upon closer inspection of the plastic sheet circuit board on the back of the dash gauge block I noticed there was a break in the circuit. Which was strange because I thought a fuse would have blown before the circuit being affected. But yeh soldered it up and good as new