Hyundai Elantra While not much larger than the accent, the Elantra offers similar room, but a sportier look and feel, as well as more power.

elantra and trailer towing

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2006, 10:41 AM
Default elantra and trailer towing

The other day I came across a web sight about trailer towing. (Google search: top ten tow vehicals-------I think it was the edmons site) They listed the elantra as one of their top ten tow vehicals. I believe they said it had a 3000 lb tow rating with trailer brakes. Ive run into several references on the internet with the same numbers. (it was on the internet, so it must be true!) Does any one have any information that would verify this, or disprove this? That seems pretty high for a small car, but I would like to know for sure. The reason Im asking is, Im going to be in the market for a new car soon, and am looking for the impossible: A car that gets good enough gas milage, that I can use it for my daily commute, and will also have a tow rating that will enable me to take my kids camping 5 or 6 weekends a year. I have a small pop up camper that weighs around 1200 lbs. I know thats a tough combination---gas milage and tow rating. If not the elantra, any other suggestions? Thanks!

Old 02-08-2006, 04:03 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: elantra and trailer towing

My 05 owners manual (06 is virtually unchanged) states maximum towing capacity of 1000 lb. without brakes and 2000 with brakes. So much for the internet.

If your pop-up has brakes you should be okay. If you get the hatchback there is probably a little more cargo area than in the sedan. As far as people space goes, front seat room is generous. Back seat isn't bad, but people over six feet tall will be scrunched a bit. Although generally considered a compact, an Elantra is classified as a mid-size for the purposes of EPA fuel economy testing, so it's probably the biggest compact out there. If you want the best possible mileage, go for the stick, my AT has been a little less than I had hoped (mid-20s in mixed driving; I have yet to break 30 mpg on a tankful). That said, I think I am at the lower end of the mileage spectrum. I've heard of people with ATs getting over 30 overall.

Another affordable choice may be the Sonata. I have no idea what it's towing rating is, but it gets nearly as high mileage as the older-design Elantra, and that's with a V6. It's a little larger overall, not available in a hatch but the rear seats do fold down. And if your pop-up has no brakes, you may get just a little better towing capacity with a Sonata.

Old 02-13-2006, 10:51 AM

wow.. didnt see that coming

Old 03-16-2006, 01:18 PM

i have an 05 gt with automatic tranny. city driving gets me mid 30's MPG. the only mod i have is a k&n box filter. i get high 30's and sometimes low 40's MPG on the highway. i bet other people would too if they would slow down a bit. i have towed with my elantra and it really is a good towing vehicle as long as you dont overload it or put too much weight on the tongue.

Old 03-26-2006, 03:39 PM

I had read the same article on Edmunds.com, and they indicated the Hyundai Elantra was rated to tow 3086 pounds. I was at the Hyundai dealer yesterday getting oil filters, and checked into what the 4 cylinder 2.0 Tucson could tow, since I'm thinking of getting one. It was listed at 1000 pounds, or 1500 pounds if the trailer has brakes. I decided to ask about the Elantra because I was surprised the Elantra could tow more, but when he looked up the Elantra in the details book, he said they didn't list a tow rating, which means the 2006 Elantra might be the same as my 2005 Accent, which is "not recommended for towing". It doesn't say you can't tow with it, but they just haven't provided a decent number for consideration. In fact, my Accent owners manual alludes to towing in several paragraphs, but then says that towing is not recommended.
Better check with your local dealer to be sure, since mine may have been looking at the wrong page, but I think he was on the right page. As far as whether the Elantra could handle the 1200 pound pop-up? I'm sure it could, especially if you add brakes to the trailer and a brake controller to the Elantra, or get a T@B camper that has surge brakes built into the trailer. I think most manufacturers are lowering their tow ratings not because the vehicle can't handle it, but to limit their exposure to USA liability laws.
The V-6 Tucson and the V-6 Santa Fe both have higher limits (2000 for the V-6 Tucson and I think 2200 for the V-6 Santa Fe), and the Toyota Matrix and Pontiac Vibe are both at 1500 pounds. Is your 1200 trailer weight empty or is that the GVWR? If it's the empty weight, don't forget to figure in the weight of anything you place in the trailer, like propane, battery for electric brakes, pots/pans, bedding, heaters, water, etc.

John