Hyundai Elantra While not much larger than the accent, the Elantra offers similar room, but a sportier look and feel, as well as more power.

99 Elantra Sputtering!

Old 08-20-2010, 08:02 PM
Default 99 Elantra Sputtering!

A couple weeks ago I bought a 99 Elantra (5 speed). It ran great for over a week, then all in a sudden it started sputtering real bad. I first noticed it at high speeds where it would kinda jerk as I was driving. Then it started getting worse. It now stalls at lights and sputters real bad at takeoff, etc.

It's almost as if it's not getting enough fuel. Can anyone give me some pointers on where I might start?

The main questions I have are:

(1) Where is the fuel pump relay located?
(2) Is changing the fuel filter tough?
(3) how do I remove my rear seat to get to fuel pump?

Thanks everyone, I appreciate your help.

Old 09-03-2010, 08:11 AM

Hi there, first things first:

Any error codes?
Did this start to happen shortly after you had fueled up at a station?

I do believe these cars have the fuel filter IN the gas tank, so you will need to drop the tank and it should be attached to the line that runs to the engine bay.

To remove the rear seat assembly do this:
  • On fixed seats remove the bolts at base of the seat back side cushions and detach them.Remove the two bolts at the rear of the seat cushion and detach the cushion assembly.Remove the two bolts at the base and remove the seat back
  • On folding seats remove the two bolts at the front of the seat cushions and detach the cushion assembly.Fold the seat backs forward remove the bolts and lift the assembly out

Old 10-02-2010, 04:40 PM

check gas cap, check for loose unconnected vacuum hoses at the engine, add some injector cleaner, run the tank empty and put in some gas form another station, maybe try a premium tank.....

could be the fuel filters clogged up too....

error codes at auto zone are free.