Hyundai Elantra While not much larger than the accent, the Elantra offers similar room, but a sportier look and feel, as well as more power.

Erratic Idle

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 12:54 AM
Default Erratic Idle

Hey guys,
I just replaced the clutch in my 02. Job went smooth and all seemed well but as soon as I fired it up the idle revs on its own from 1000-4000 rpm. The pedal is unresponsive and there is no code. The condition did not exsist before the clutch job. I am not sure what it could be and with no code????? I don't want to just waste money "guessing" as parts add up. Any similar experiences? Thanks in advance......

Old 10-02-2010, 04:34 PM

not sure its the same, but if you turn your engine on, lift the hood and spray some carb cleaner around an check for engine choking you might have a vacuum leak.....

thats a $2 check and takes about 5 minutes.

air/gas mixture....? just a guess..

Old 10-03-2010, 10:45 AM

Thanks for the help. That is what I thought at first and did all the backyard vacuum leak tests. What it turned out to be is the cruise control module. It went haywire and was revving the engine on its own. Once disconnected it ran just like it did before. I took it apart and I am not sure what went wrong but the little wheel that attaches to the c/c throttle cable was indexed wrong. Put it back together and it runs like a champ.
On a side note, I did the clutch job with the transaxle in place. I could not for the life of me drop it out of the bottom of the car. Luckily there was enough room to do the clutch. Is there a way to drop the transaxle........I litterally spent like 2 1/2 hours trying to get it out and no luck with the engine in place and the "frame" right there. Thanks,
Nigel