Hyundai Elantra While not much larger than the accent, the Elantra offers similar room, but a sportier look and feel, as well as more power.

Front Tire Wear Issue Very Strange

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 05:34 PM
Default Front Tire Wear Issue Very Strange

Now I know that I have not followed the tire rotation specified in the owners manual but this is very strange to me.

The front tires of my 2009 Elantra SE wore off the very inside edge of the tires. Down to the cord, wire was sticking out. The dealer discovered it at the 20K check. They told me about it and suggested I have the car aligned. They let me leave the dealership, and I went to a local tire dealer, had the two front tires removed, put the back tires on the front and put two new Toyos on the back. Had the car aligned and all four tires high speed balance.

Now at 34K the two front tires are worn again down to the cord, but just on the inside edge. Looks like the tires were rubbing on the frame or something since its just the edge of the tire. Checked under the car and cannot see any spots where the tire is rubbing on frame or suspension parts.

I have had many cars where tires wore down one side of the tire or another due to running on the wrong pressure or alignment issues. But this is just the edge and I get no feedback through the steering of an unbalanced issue.

Any ideas? Is there a suspension problem with this model Hyundai?

Maybe bushings, etc?

Last edited by hyse09; 02-05-2012 at 05:37 PM.
Old 02-06-2012, 07:49 AM
Super Moderator

Sounds like an alignment problem to me. Are you sure the place that did the alignment did a good job? My guess is they either diid an improper aligment, or some suspension parts are damaged/worn and it can be aligned correctly.

Old 02-06-2012, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by NovaResource
Sounds like an alignment problem to me. Are you sure the place that did the alignment did a good job? My guess is they either did an improper alignment, or some suspension parts are damaged/worn and it can be aligned correctly.

I am going to call the dealer today and set up a time to have them check it out. I had Les Schwab do the alignment locally and they are well known for their tire balancing and alignment work, but it could be something only the Dealer is aware of.

Just very strange that the leading edge of the tire wore out like that. Never seen that in my many years of driving and owning a lot of cars and trucks.

Thanks for the comments

Old 03-05-2012, 01:47 AM

ours does the same thing on front right tire. its on the outside though, we've also had it aligned but no luck.

Old 03-05-2012, 08:59 AM

I paid to have an alignment done a second time by an outside vendor. Large tire retailer.

The dealer was not helpful, also thought it was an alignment problem and said you need to rotate the tires every 5K miles. Very important.

I asked him to put me on record at having four tires destroyed in 35K miles, which they did. So if it happens again I will raise holy heck with Hyundai.

They did a through check of the suspension when the car was in for its 30K check. Another ripoff $660 for their service, at 20K miles they charged me $500 for doing very little.

I now see how they can give you a free warranty of 100K miles. For the price the dealers now charge for so called free warranty work you could buy a bumper to bumper warranty for a 1950 Cadillac.

Sorry to complain but over the years when you have a warranty, you normally only pay for needed parts, oil changes, etc. Not a massive amount of money for checking stuff and doing unnecessary work.

Old 03-07-2012, 08:19 PM
Default 2009 Elantra Touring SE

Just had my 30,000 service. Mechanic came and got me to show me the tires. Inside edge worn to the point that steel belt was visible on one tire. Other three were worn too. I have had the tires rotated every 6,000 miles by the dealer and was never told of the wear on the tires till now. Car does not pull left or right. I've never seen wear on the inside edge - not tread - like this. Wierd!! What could cause this? I can't believe it is an alignment issue!

Old 03-08-2012, 09:16 AM
Unhappy

Originally Posted by gmcvandura
Just had my 30,000 service. Mechanic came and got me to show me the tires. Inside edge worn to the point that steel belt was visible on one tire. Other three were worn too. I have had the tires rotated every 6,000 miles by the dealer and was never told of the wear on the tires till now. Car does not pull left or right. I've never seen wear on the inside edge - not tread - like this. Wierd!! What could cause this? I can't believe it is an alignment issue!
That is the same problem that I had. Now I am suspicious that the dealers are well aware of this problem but keeping it under their hats for some unknown reason.

All I can say is raise heck with the dealer now, take it up to the next level if you have to. In fact I am going to check to see if there is a way to contact a regional service rep to discuss this problem. Somethings up here and I suspect its an expensive suspension fix. Wrong bushings, ball joints, if the car has them. Cost me almost $700 in tire replacement and alignment work so far.

Let me know if you find out any specific fixes for this issue.

Old 03-16-2012, 01:24 PM
cs1

Originally Posted by discord1117
ours does the same thing on front right tire. its on the outside though, we've also had it aligned but no luck.
So does my 2006. The dealer and tire dealer insist it's because I don't rotate the tires. I bought the car new and this is the 2nd time in 73K miles it happened.

Old 03-17-2012, 09:02 AM
Default Hyundai Elantra Touring Tire Wear

I took my 2009 Elantra Touring to a mechanic I know after being shown how worn my tires where on their inside edge even though I rotated the tires every 6,000 miles. He checked the alignment. The front tires were out of alignment. The left tire aimed to the left and the right tire aimed to the right! He said that was one reason there was so much wear on the inside tread of the tires. The rear tires were not out of alignment. There is no adjustment for the rear tires. The factory setting has them slightly slanted with the bottom slightly farther out than the top.....like this: \ Again, another reason why the tires are worn on the inside edge.

I had my tires rotated every 6,000 miles at the dealership and wasn't told about the wear until the steel cords were showing!!

Old 03-17-2012, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by gmcvandura
I took my 2009 Elantra Touring to a mechanic I know after being shown how worn my tires where on their inside edge even though I rotated the tires every 6,000 miles. He checked the alignment. The front tires were out of alignment. The left tire aimed to the left and the right tire aimed to the right! He said that was one reason there was so much wear on the inside tread of the tires. The rear tires were not out of alignment. There is no adjustment for the rear tires. The factory setting has them slightly slanted with the bottom slightly farther out than the top.....like this: \ Again, another reason why the tires are worn on the inside edge.

I had my tires rotated every 6,000 miles at the dealership and wasn't told about the wear until the steel cords were showing!!

The first time it happened my dealer told me that the cord was showing and I should think about getting an alignment soon. They let me leave the dealership with unsafe tires, later sent me an e-mail to cover their butts.
I had already gone to a tire dealer replaced the tires and put the back ones on the front and the new ones on the rear. Glad I did because it happened again to the older rear tires about 15K later.

I had the alignment checked at the tire dealer, Les Schaube, and redone the second time it happened. I am hoping that the problem is fixed and will have them check it out every 5K when I rotate the tires. Now have expensive Toyos on the car and don't want to trash those babies.

We will see what happens and hope for the best.

Quick Reply: Front Tire Wear Issue Very Strange