Hyundai Elantra While not much larger than the accent, the Elantra offers similar room, but a sportier look and feel, as well as more power.

HID/Halo Headlights

Old 03-09-2012, 09:01 PM
Default HID/Halo Headlights

I have a 2010 Elantra GLS and am wanting to install HID headlights for better visibility; has anyone installed them? If so, what brand did you use and do you recommend them?

I actually wanted to find LED headlights but have been unsuccessful in my search, so if anyone knows of LED headlights I would love to hear about them as well.

Thanks!

Brandon

Old 03-17-2012, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by 2010Elantra
I have a 2010 Elantra GLS and am wanting to install HID headlights for better visibility; has anyone installed them? If so, what brand did you use and do you recommend them?

I actually wanted to find LED headlights but have been unsuccessful in my search, so if anyone knows of LED headlights I would love to hear about them as well.

Thanks!

Brandon

Yes, my son installed them for me and did a fine job too. Put in the dims first and we liked them so much that we did the brights and the fogs. Put the ambers in for the Fogs and we light up the road like a firetruck.

The HIDs reach out an amazing distance.

My son bought them on the internet and picked the white lights, brightest he could find. No blue cast on these babies.

Had a little trouble finding places to mount the capacitors, about the size of a pack of cigarettes, one for each light. But figured out how to make it happen. Also had to modify the sockets that plug into the fixtures somewhat and use a sealant to make sure we had a watertight seal on one that did not cooperate. Took us a few hours to get it done but it was worth it.

Also mounted two lights on the upper deck, inside the car facing out the back window so I have super bright backup lights for trips out to hunting camp in the wilds of Oregon. Put the switch inside the small center glove box. That was very difficult, mounting that switch. Hardwired from the switch all the way back to the lights in the trunk.

But if you have someone following too close and giving you the bright lights all you have to do is hit that switch and you will burn off the paint on the hoods of their car. Its blinding and not smart to do anymore than a quick flash.

Old 03-17-2012, 09:59 AM

Sorry we did not take any photos of our installation. But if you need some additional info as to how to do it or the mfg of the lights I can put you in touch with my son Evan.

He has also done a complete install on a Camaro that they are building for the drag strip/ street.

Here is the data about the lights we installed and the link::

For the HID's
http://www.ddmtuning.com/Product-Cat...hting/HID-Kits

that is the link to the HID section. You have the RAPTOR, FULL SIZED, 55W, 6000K BULB. they have a lifetime warranty and they come with the bulbs. in other states it might be illegal for 55w so they might want to stick with 35w and if they do make sure they get 5000k bulbs (pure white).

Last edited by hyse09; 03-17-2012 at 02:47 PM.
Old 03-21-2012, 09:21 PM

A few lessons learned about HID Kits:

- HID "DC power" kits are illegal in many regions. Check with your regional DOT / DMV authorities about installing 3rd party HID "DC power" upgrade kits within factory light assemblies. My region doesn't allow DC version.
- HID "AC power" kits are LEGAL in some areas. The AC power are legal in my region. AC power use AC HID bulbs, have more even spread lighting and their AC bulbs last much longer. HID AC power bulbs run cooler as well. Thus, better within factory light housings as well.
- HID "AC power" are often $40 more - compared to its lower quality "DC power" product. One must ask if their HIDs are AC or DC power. Many "over seas" HID products are DC power version.
- For good AC vs DC table, surf: http://www.mydepots.com/the-truth-you-must-know
- Regardless of AC power or DC power, do check its warranty details as well. Many companies don't support their warranty unless "their techs" install it.
- Elanta uses H11B (notice the "B" letter). Majority of HID kits don't fit into H11B sockets. Thus, the factory H11B socket must be modifed. For example, using a "straight" HID H11 bulb, run wires directly throught a 1" hole (created within the factory plastic cover) and manually splice the factory H11B harness wires into the HID ballaster. Some manual "fitting" of socket and wires for HID H11 bulbs is needed on H11B factory configuration. But, it can be done by DIY folks.
- For the Elantra, many say the 35W @ 5000K - 6000K HID kits work best. Again, get the HID "ac power" kit to ensure legal. 55W are stronger but within factory light housing, this extra power isn't utilized. In other words, the 35W - 6000K is best bang for the dollar. 55W in factory light housing is waste of money.
- After installing HID "ac power" kit and its AC bulbs, re-aim the headlights as well. Being brighter, their aim needs to be "adjusted" as well.

If wondering, my son will be buying / installing HID "ac power" 35W @ 6000K kit within his 2008 Elantra this weekend (or week after).

Hope this info helps...

Last edited by Jack99; 03-22-2012 at 10:48 PM.