Hyundai Elantra While not much larger than the accent, the Elantra offers similar room, but a sportier look and feel, as well as more power.

Manual Transmission install

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2006, 12:28 AM
Default Manual Transmission install

Hello all hope I'm not asking a question that's been asked 100 times but anyway her goes. I installed a new engine in a 97 Elantra a 2.0L from a 97 Tiburon. I took the original transmission from the Elantra and put it on the 2.0L I know I install the transmission to the engine wrong because I can get the clutch to engage but the shifter will try to grind in. What position was the clutch slave cylinder supposed to have been in (in or out)? was it just a matter of sliding the transmission on the engine and bolting it up? I think Im stuck on how to connect the clutch release bearing? http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBr...3d801d569c.jsp

Old 01-07-2008, 08:02 AM
Default RE: Manual Transmission install

i know this is an old post, but i just swapped my engine and installed new clutch and im having a problem with the clutch release cylinder, its not retracting do you have any idea what the problem could be?

Old 01-08-2008, 09:34 PM

i recently replaced a trans at work . the trowout bearing is to be attached behind the fork in the transmission housing (not in the pressure plate ), care is to be taken while installing the trans to get the bearing and pressure plate coupled togather . i used a cheater pipe to gently force the two to couple togather. if u happend to put that bearing in the pressure plate before instalation it is a bomber to remove.

Old 01-09-2008, 03:58 PM

Sounds to me like you may have installed the clutch plate or throw-out bearing on some how wrong. I would attempt to dissasemble the tranny from the engine again. Follow everything down to a T and make sure it's not binding up anywhere at all.

You might even have to prime or make sure that the clutch cylinder resevoir is full and there are no leaks. Maybe the problem exsists in the Hydraulic system, ya know?

Hope this helps