Hyundai Elantra While not much larger than the accent, the Elantra offers similar room, but a sportier look and feel, as well as more power.

Hyundai Elantra spare tire

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 07:53 PM
Unhappy Hyundai Elantra spare tire

First of all I want to say hello, I'm new here. I just bought an 2011 Elantra and I found out that there's no spare tire in the car, so I bought a donut and the jack kit used on Ebay. But I'm confused because looking in the trunk I noticed there's a big foam piece in there, and I don't think the donut fits on top of it. Am I suppose to remove that?, I try to lift it but it seems to be attached or something like that. Should I pull it? Please somebody explain it to me. Thanks so much.

Old 03-02-2012, 01:55 PM
RG3

I hope you bought the spare tire kit that is designed for the Elantra. The foam holder comes out and the spare tire kit fits right into the well. Just pull it out. Keep the pump kit as you might need it.
I too was amazed they can sell a car without the spare tire. It makes little sense. Good luck.

Old 03-02-2012, 02:06 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by haponte360
... I found out that there's no spare tire in the car, ...
Originally Posted by RG3
... I too was amazed they can sell a car without the spare tire. It makes little sense...
You guys gotta do better research. Lots of car companies are doing this and have been for a while now:

The Disappearing Spare Tire - Edmunds.com

AAA warns that spare tires are going extinct | Fox News

Don’t Be Caught Unprepared If You Have A Flat Tire

Sam Kazman: Why Your Car Doesn't Have a Spare Tire - WSJ.com

New cars sold without spare tires: Automakers sell more cars without spare tires - Los Angeles Times

Old 03-03-2012, 05:45 AM
Smile

Thanks a lot guys, and yes I bought pre-owned genuine parts.

Old 03-05-2012, 09:09 AM

I had no idea that the manufacturers/dealers were selling cars with no spare tires. I do understand that there are less and less folks that know how to change a tire and just call for assistance. Men included.

I could never own a car without adding a spare. Not smart to travel without that backup, especially if you travel in more isolated areas.

Old 03-05-2012, 09:38 AM
Super Moderator

First let me say I'm torn on this subject. I see valid points for both positions.

Let me ask this, when was the last time you used your spare tire? Me, it was probably 1989 or 1990. That doesn't mean I haven't gotten nails in tires but I've always caught it and repaired the tire before it went totally flat (I plug my own tires). Most of the time is was in my driveway and I either saw by chance or was inspecting the tires. Once I even heard the nail while driving. Plus, TPMS systems warn drivers long before the tire is too flat to drive on.

Second, people like to claim this is a safety hazard but I say it's much safer (and faster) to use a can of sealant and a pump when you are on the shoulder of a highway than it is to jack the car up and swap tires. Especially if it's on the driver side of the car.

Third, who wants to jack up a car to change a tire in bad weather or when they are dressed up? Again, the sealant and pump are much quicker.

Lastly, most cars come with roadside assistance that will come out and repair a tire or at least get you to a repair shop.

Remember, car companies cater to the majority of drivers and as unfortunate as it may be, the majority of drivers do not want to change tires themselves so they don't mind that there is no spare or jack. The majority wouldn't know how to use it anyway. For those of us that still do things ourselves, you can buy the spare and jack optionally as an accessory.

Last edited by NovaResource; 03-06-2012 at 01:16 PM.
Old 03-17-2012, 03:02 PM

I grew up in a different time period where flats were a way of life and if you did not know how to change a tire you were in for a long walk. No cell phones, no AAA to help.

An old farm boy that has changed many, many tires over the years and has stopped to help ladies change tires if necessary.

Tires are much more reliable today than in the 1950-1960 and I rarely get a flat. So I understand the logic of having someone else take care of the problem. But I head up into the Mts of Oregon where there is no cell phone service and if I get a flat I must change it out myself.

My 2009 Elantra came with a spare and a jack so I am good to go. If I bought a new car I would pay the extra for the spare and the jack if the dealer would not throw in the parts for free. Just my opinion.

Old 04-07-2012, 01:02 PM
Default Spare Tire

I have a 2012 Elantra w/o a spare and if you want you can check with your local junkyard for a tire and jack. As I understand, you will have to find a car no earlier than an 07 since the earlier ones did not have the 5 bolt pattern. If I am wrong on this I am sure someone more knowledgeable wil offer a correction.