Hyundai Elantra While not much larger than the accent, the Elantra offers similar room, but a sportier look and feel, as well as more power.

Ipod Touch Read Error 2010 Elantra

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 07:46 AM
Default Ipod Touch Read Error 2010 Elantra

I just recently bought a 2010 Elantra equipped with the iPod/USB jack. For the first time today, I tried to plug in my iPod Touch (with the newest software upgrade) into the USB port using the standard cable provided with the iPod that is used for charging and computer interface, etc. After plugging it in and the stereo trying to read it for a minute, it says something like a "read error" and will not play. Now i know that there is a cable to purchase through Hyundai, with the USB and aux jack in one, and I am currently waiting on recieving one from them, but I was told that I can use my standard iPod cable in the meantime and it should work, just without control of the iPod from the stereo controls. Is there any settings I need to fix on my iPod or stereo? Please help. Thanks.

Old 03-28-2010, 07:17 AM

Hi,

I have a '09 Elantra Touring and an iphone 3G. My wife has a GS.

My 3G used to work perfectly with the ipod adapter. after upgrading to firmware 3.0, it now loses sync via the radio and will randomly disconnect. I was very disappointed, as you are. If you are savvy, you might try to downgrade your firmware to an earlier version and see if it works. The only problem is that cut/paste and all the useful functions apple built in with FW 3.0 are not in those earlier versions.

I wouldn't blame Hyundai for this. It's another case of Apple's heavy handed approach to controlling their products. I have an old Sandisk Sansa e270 that I use and it works flawlessly. I also frequently use a 4GB Sandisk Jump drive plugged into the USB port and it also works perfect.

I find the jump drive to be the easiest alternative. They are cheap, and if you're patient, you can find a 4GB on Slickdeals.net for about $10 or an 8GB for less than 20. Hope this helps.

Old 03-28-2010, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by skasaxtrnj21990
I was told that I can use my standard iPod cable in the meantime and it should work, just without control of the iPod from the stereo controls. Is there any settings I need to fix on my iPod or stereo? Please help. Thanks.
We have an 09 Sonata in the family with this system. Yes, some players will act like a flash drive when connected through the USB port. Unfortunately, when the head unit detects an Ipod, it wants to establish inteactive control of the Ipod but can't without the special cable so error messages result. I think if you connect the Ipod from the headphone jack to the round aux jack with a 3.5 mm double male-ended stereo cable, it will act just like any other MP3 player with the system. The special Hyundai cable is worth it if you do have an Ipod.

Last edited by ken99; 03-28-2010 at 10:35 AM.