Hyundai Elantra While not much larger than the accent, the Elantra offers similar room, but a sportier look and feel, as well as more power.

New (to us) Elantra. Timing Question.

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2016, 08:16 PM
Default New (to us) Elantra. Timing Question.

So my wife's 2002 Ford Taurus SES blew a head gasket and may have been running like that for quite a while, and alas she runs but blows white smoke. We decided to scrap it and get something else as we don't know what else has been done to that motor.

Cue my mother getting a brand spankin' new Mini, and she was looking for someone to buy her ol' faithful 2007 Elantra GLS. We picked it up as we needed a new car for my wife. The car has been very well taken care of. My mom doesn't drive it hard or anything, and they have always taken the car to a dealer or certified mechanic for it's work (I have all the papers for it).

In the paperwork, I see that the Timing Belt was replaced at 55,000 miles in April 2012. The car now has 95,000 miles and I am going to be taking it in for a new Timing Belt soon (60K would put it at 110K from 55K.) However, looking at the work order, I see it only has a belt replacement (and 2 drive belts...I guess I outta look under the hood). I would figure that if they were replacing it, why wouldn't they replace the idlers and tensioners?

Let me explain my reservation...We had a 2004 Chevrolet Aveo with the 1.6L 4 Cylinder and we replaced the timing belt on it. About 30K later, the plastic idler failed, which killed the engine and belt valves. I am worried about the same on this car, but I cannot tell from parts pictures if the pulleys in the Timing system are plastic or metal. From what I can tell, they LOOK metal, which if they are, it helps set my mind at ease on it.

So my question is this...Does this car have plastic components for the timing belts (Idlers and Tensioners), or does it have real metal components?

Thanks in advance!

Old 02-10-2016, 12:44 PM
Former Site Vendor

In our shop we typically do not replace the tensioner/idler unless they show wear and require replacement. I typically see metal components when working with timing components on Hyundais but I would be happy to double check for you. If you PM me your VIN number I can take a look at the parts myself if we have them in stock.

Old 02-12-2016, 05:15 PM

Thank you! I'll PM the VIN soon.

It was done at 55,000 and it has 96,000 now. I figure it is good until 100,000, so I'll likely have it taken into a Hyundai dealer to get it done. If they are metal timing parts, it makes me feel better but having the belt break still scares me.

Are these belts bad? Are they better quality than GMs or other manufacturers?

Old 02-12-2016, 10:42 PM

If you are going to replace the timing belt then it is a good idea to get a kit and replace the tensioner and idler and probably the water pump too. It isn't just the belt that has 60k miles on it. The tensioner and idler have 110k miles.

Now, if you can't or won't do the work yourself then it can get quite costly to replace all those parts.

Good luck to you

Old 02-12-2016, 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by avisitor
If you are going to replace the timing belt then it is a good idea to get a kit and replace the tensioner and idler and probably the water pump too. It isn't just the belt that has 60k miles on it. The tensioner and idler have 110k miles.

Now, if you can't or won't do the work yourself then it can get quite costly to replace all those parts.

Good luck to you
Yeah, I called Hyundai and another mechanic and they quoted me about $650 to $750 for a full replacement with the kit. Not bad, as I figure it will keep the car running well. Additionally, Imd rather it be done right, and I am not too good at doing timing. Plus, you can't beat a lifetime warranty.

Thanks for the advice all!

Old 02-15-2016, 04:31 PM
Former Site Vendor

Originally Posted by PeteyG708
Yeah, I called Hyundai and another mechanic and they quoted me about $650 to $750 for a full replacement with the kit. Not bad, as I figure it will keep the car running well. Additionally, Imd rather it be done right, and I am not too good at doing timing. Plus, you can't beat a lifetime warranty.

Thanks for the advice all!

650-750 isn't bad if it keeps the car running an additional 60k with little to no issues. I think you are making the right call having it done by someone, timing can be so touchy. I definitely wouldn't feel confident doing something like that myself.

Old 02-18-2016, 12:11 AM

I am planning to do my timing belt.
The kit at Rockauto.com with water pump is around 100 dollars with shipping
Just waiting for summer before tackling this job