Hyundai Elantra While not much larger than the accent, the Elantra offers similar room, but a sportier look and feel, as well as more power.

occasional fuel delivery problem?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 11:04 AM
Default occasional fuel delivery problem?

Just went passed my emissions test date for 2000 Elantra station wagon because of an on going problem with a fuel smell coming from the engine compartment when I turn off the engine and I figured they wouldn't pass it with that condition. New problem now, three times now I have tried to start the car and the engine would just crank and crank and crank. Seemed like it wasn't getting any fuel. I disconnected the large black hose going from the air cleaner to the intake, flipped down the butterfly flapper and squirted in some starter fluid and it started right up. Prior to starting it up with the starter fluid and assembly off the intake, I was code free. I am assuming the CEL situation now is due to me using starter fluid and starting it without the assembly attached. Anybody got suggestions where I should start looking for a remedy?

Old 11-26-2012, 08:04 PM

I had replaced the fuel filter earlier this year and during the re-assembly I must have pinched the O-ring causing a slight leak because when I finally did check the filter for leakage, I found leakage. I then checked the upper line O-ring and saw a flat spot. I changed out the O-ring and she is now dry as a bone, no gas smell anymore and hopefully my fuel delivery problems go away now.