Hyundai Elantra While not much larger than the accent, the Elantra offers similar room, but a sportier look and feel, as well as more power.

Oil Light Flickers - Oil Level is OK

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 04:00 PM
Question Oil Light Flickers - Oil Level is OK

After running at freeway speeds, then coming to a stop sign... the oil light flickers momentarily. Once the car has been shut off and sits for a bit, then driven again around town, light does not flicker. Oil level checks good.
Just had the timing belt and water pump replaced. Car has 196,000 miles on it and has never had any engine problems whatsoever. Could it be an oil pressure sending unit, or a clogged oil filter or something simple?
Thanks, mitch

Last edited by mitchkam1; 04-15-2014 at 05:16 PM.
Old 04-19-2010, 04:06 PM

Hyundai oil filter, TSB.. likely not your issue, but.......

Oil pressure test

oil sender unit

oil pump pickup in pan clogging with debris ?

That should give you somewhere to start,,,, BTW,,, what year Elantra we playing with ?

Old 04-20-2010, 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by mitchkam1
After running at freeway speeds, then coming to a stop sign... the oil light flickers momentarily. Once the car has been shut off and sits for a bit, then driven again around town, light does not flicker. Oil level checks good.
Just had the timing belt and water pump replaced. Car has 196,000 miles on it and has never had any engine problems whatsoever. Could it be an oil pressure sending unit, or a clogged oil filter or something simple?
You can text me at 206-227-9753 any time. Thanks, mitch
I've seen this before. Usually means one of two things. A worn oil pump or malfunctioning bypass pressure valve on the pump. Yes, could be some of the other items mentioned by sbr711. I don't think debris on the oil intake is an issue. The only way I know to diagnose this situation is to change the oil with a clean filter and plumb a mechanical pressure gauge to the pump or main oil galley on the engine. Run the car until the symptoms show up and then monitor the oil pressure on the gauge.

Old 04-20-2010, 10:19 PM
Default Oil Light Flickers

It's a 2005 Elantra GT... I bought a new oil pressure switch, but the only diagram I can find that shows where the switch should be doesn't match up with my engine. Any ideas on where I can find the correct diagram? My car was actually manufactured in Dec of 2004.
Meanwhile, just in case something might be clogged, I added a bottle of CD2 Oil Additive to my oil... After driving around at city speeds for awhile, then hitting the freeway and running it up to 70 mph for a bit, I did NOT experience the oil light flickering once I exited the freeway and came back to an idle. Seems that it may indeed have been a clog somewhere.
I would like to install that new oil pressure switch though.. The one thats in there has been at it for 196,000 miles!

Old 04-20-2010, 10:21 PM
Default Oil Light Flickers

Can you recommend a repair manual for this car? One that has lots of readable diagrams? Thanks!