Hyundai Elantra While not much larger than the accent, the Elantra offers similar room, but a sportier look and feel, as well as more power.

2007 Elantra Stall Problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 01:22 PM
Default 2007 Elantra Stall Problems

New to the forum but thought I'd post about the following issue I had to see if anyone else has had the same problem. 2007 Elantra GLS with automatic transmission 35000 miles.

I've been having a randomly occuring problem with the engine stalling at low speeds. It has only happened three times, once at about 6000 miles, once at 27000 miles and once at 34000 miles. Each time the situation has been the same; After driving 20+ miles at 65+ MPH I'll slow down into rush hour traffic and the car will start to stall at verylow speed (5 MPH or less). Each time it'sstalled I've been able to shift into neutral and restart easily.However, thestalling persists after restarting. The stalling goes away at low speedsonce I'm able to get backto highway speed and slow down again.

No check engine light or any other warning lights have come onat any time. Engine temp reads normal. RPM's at 60 MPH are around 2250 which from reading on this forum and others seem right for the 2007 Elantra. RPM's at5 MPHare normally 600-700 which also seem normal for the Elantra. When this problem pops upthe low speed RPM's drop to about 400-500 which is how I know the car is in danger of stalling again. I found on the last occasion it happened (34000 miles) that I can avoid stalling by having my foot firmly on the brake or the gas. If I take my foot off either formore than a secondat low speed it would stall.

I took it to the dealer after the second time it happened (27000 miles) and they did their 27 point inspection and found nothing wrong and couldn't duplicate the problem. Right now I'm at a loss of what to do since the problem occurs so infrequently. The problem does seem minor since it occurs so infrequently but it's annoying when my car with an automatic transmission stalls 10 times in rush hour traffic. I repeat the same scenario (driving 20+ miles at 65+ MPH then slowing down into rush hour traffic) twice per day and it has only happened those three times.

Here's everything I've consideredand possibly eliminatedso far:
Torque Converter Clutch is stuck in third gear fail safe - There is a TSB out there on this but I don't get a check engine light
Idle Air Control - when coming to a complete stop the car idle's fine, have never had it stall while idle.
Throttle Control/Body - Have seen other cars have same issues when they have adirty throttle body. Highly doubt throttle body would be that dirty at 6000 miles or even 34000 miles. Throttle control malfunction would probably occur at all speeds
Fuel Pump/Fuel Filter - If there was a malfunction with either it would probably occur at all speeds and occur with more frequency
Battery - Dealer inspection found battery was properly charged. During stall all dashboard lights come on. No problem restarting
Intake Manifold - if there was malfunction it would probably occur all the time
Bad Gas - Problem has occurred at all gas tank levels. Problem goes away after returning to highway speed with same tank of gas. Highly doubt one could get bad gas that often (Northern VA area)

Has anyone else had this problem? All of your help is greatly appreciated!

Old 12-17-2008, 05:48 PM
Banned
Default RE: 2007 Elantra Stall Problems

I'll bet the problem occurs when the outside temperature is the same. In other words, it only occurs when the engine parts reach a certain temperature both internally and externally. It's a real flukey problem that might never be found, but I've seen this kind of thing before.

Last edited by NovaResource; 09-20-2011 at 09:28 PM.
Old 12-18-2008, 08:04 AM

I thought that might be the case too for a while. The first two times it happened were in August, outside temp was about 80 degrees. The last time it happened thoughwas in November, outside temp about 40 degrees. outside humidity also doesn't seem to have an effect.

Old 12-18-2008, 11:56 AM

my brothers car stalls at random intervals, typicaly more than 5kmiles apart, looked at it atleast 10 times, cant figure it out.

Next time it starts to hapen, you see the rpms going down, quickly throw the car in nutral and see if it continues to stall, or if the rpms go back up..
if they go back up mostlikely a tourqe converter issue.
If the rpms continue to stall then its either a fuel, spark, issue....