Hyundai Elantra While not much larger than the accent, the Elantra offers similar room, but a sportier look and feel, as well as more power.

Elantra heater blows cold air when stopped

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 01:30 PM
Default Elantra heater blows cold air when stopped

My '04 Elantra's heater will blow cold air when the car is stopped but when I'm accelerating, it will blow hot air. After my car has been running for awhile, the heater will blow hot air even when stopped. We noticed buildup right under the radiator hose going into the engine so we replaced the radiator hose thinking there was a leak but the problem still exists. Any suggestions/ideas?

Old 12-03-2008, 02:08 PM
Default RE: Elantra heater blows cold air when stopped

Probably the thermostat, some cars do that,,and some cars blow hot air when stopped and cold when driving. depends on if it failed in the open or closed position. Its a cheap fix and probably a good idea,,,although it being an 04, it really shouldn't have failed yet,,but just because it shouldn't have,,dosn't mean they don't. Give that shot and let us know. Good luck

Old 12-03-2008, 02:32 PM

My '04 Elantra's heater will blow cold air when the car is stopped but when I'm accelerating, it will blow hot air. After my car has been running for awhile, the heater will blow hot air even when stopped. We noticed buildup right under the radiator hose going into the engine so we replaced the radiator hose thinking there was a leak but the problem still exists. Any suggestions/ideas?
Check the coolant level in the radiator when the engine is cold. I think you will find it is low. The level is just low enough for poor circulation at idle, but does have some circulation to the heater core at higher rpms. This sometimes happen if you replace a hose, but don't get all the air out of the block cavity and heater core when you refill the system. You may also have a water pump wearing out. I'd certainly check for signs of coolant starting to leak through the pump's weep hole.

Old 12-04-2008, 09:28 AM

ORIGINAL: ken99

Check the coolant level in the radiator when the engine is cold. I think you will find it is low. The level is just low enough for poor circulation at idle, but does have some circulation to the heater core at higher rpms. This sometimes happen if you replace a hose, but don't get all the air out of the block cavity and heater core when you refill the system. You may also have a water pump wearing out. I'd certainly check for signs of coolant starting to leak through the pump's weep hole.
Kind of my thoughts... My car would do that when i was to lazz to beed the air ou tof the system completly. Fill you radiator, fill your resavour, and make sure you bleed the system, with the heater on...

Old 12-17-2008, 11:08 PM

I had this SAME EXACT problem. I was low on coolant, so I decided to just flush my radiator out, and start new. My heater works just fine now. Its a nightmare when you start your car to defrost the windows and you come out to leave and see no progress!