Hyundai Elantra While not much larger than the accent, the Elantra offers similar room, but a sportier look and feel, as well as more power.

poor gas mileage

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2006, 05:56 PM
Default poor gas mileage

I purchased an Elantra in October 2005. The car is great except for one inconvenience. The amount of gas I get has been quite poor. I am only getting 19MPG as an average while driving. My question is if I am just doing to much start and stopping or is this a true indication of the mileage.

Or could it possibly be I am using the lowest octane rating.

Old 04-29-2006, 05:00 AM
Default RE: poor gas mileage

Hai ... i also just a used elantra A/T 1997.
It seems that the car is poor in gas consumption.
My car take only 1 : 6to7 (KMH : L) gas.

Or any one have the clue how to get more efficient gas conpsumtion?

Old 04-29-2006, 10:54 PM

You could always check your air filter and make sure that its not dirty because that could cause poor gas milage

Old 05-05-2006, 04:19 AM

i did already do the check on my air filter. It's just fine. But still doesnt have any changes on the fuel consumption.

Some of my friends suggest me to do machine porting and polishing. Any one help me please what is that? and will that do some changes on the MPG (fuel consumption)?

Thanks ...

Old 05-09-2006, 01:09 AM

I'm really suprised at reading your low mileage. I thought the smaller Hyundai cars would get better mileage than that. My Azera is getting almost 25 mpg in the city, and on the local highways, 36.4 mpg [that suprised me!] The sticker said much lower. I found that keeping extra weight in the car reduced my mileage somewhat. Do you have a lot of things in your trunk? Do you have your tires properly inflated? I actually keep my tires at 31 instead of the 30 they are recommended to be at ... but still ... you folks should be getting better mileage. I would almost contact Hyundai America and question them. Jeeze ... it needs to do better for you!

Old 05-09-2006, 01:11 AM

I use 87 octane from the cheapo stations [like gas is cheap anywhere?]. I don't see where the low octane is the problem ...

Old 05-09-2006, 01:51 PM
Super Moderator

The outgoing generation of Elantra has a relatively old design (introduced in 2001) and the mileage isn't quite up to some of the newer models. The Azera and Sonata get about the same mileage as the Elantra.

My AT 2005 Elantra is rated at 24/32 mpg. In about 12,000 miles, I've gotten a max of 35.0 mpg and a min of 22.4, for an average of 26.5. On a recent 1800 mile trip to pick my son up from college I averaged 32.2 for the trip, and for half of it the car was loaded like this:

Old 05-10-2006, 10:37 PM

I'm not trying to rub it in your face or anything but i've gone through 4-5 tanks in my used 2004 since I recently bought it and the worst i've gotten on a tank was 32.5 mpg.

Old 05-12-2006, 01:23 AM

Have you asked your dealer to check the vehicle for you. If you have a problem in the vehicle gas mileage will drop.When I have a customer complain about fuel consumption I do the basics.Check tire pressure,air filter,when was the last time they changed their plugs.How about the fuel filter? I also look at the pcm for any codes and check the long term fuel trims.If long term fuel trim is out of spec then you have a problem. And last yes the octane does help on gas mileage. That is another discussion in itself.As for that guy trying to sell that additive.HAHHH I dont think so.

Old 01-18-2007, 04:30 PM

Pleasechange your o2 sensor

Quick Reply: poor gas mileage