Hyundai Elantra While not much larger than the accent, the Elantra offers similar room, but a sportier look and feel, as well as more power.

power steering noise

Old 06-15-2007, 07:05 PM
Default power steering noise

I have an 2002 elantra and today when turned the wheel to back out of my drive it started sqeaking like i was low onpower steering fluid. I checked it and it dosen't look like the fluid level is low so. What i'm wondering,is this normal for it to do this after a lot of driving in hot weather, or is the power steering pump going out.
Any help on this would be great, thanks in advance, for any help or info received.
mark

Old 06-16-2007, 02:00 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: power steering noise

My guess is just a loose/worn belt. If it's never been replaced, you're probably due. Also, if you've never replaced the timing belt and you have more than 60,000 miles, you need to do that right away! If that belt breaks, your engine will be damaged.

Old 06-17-2007, 03:08 PM

I have noticed that if i have the air on and turn the wheel it squeals real bad but if i turn the air off the squeal is gone. I also can here a really small squeal sound when im taking off from a dead stop if the air is on.
don't know much about cars so i need help.
mark

Old 06-17-2007, 03:22 PM
Super Moderator

Sounds like your belts are just loose. If they are original you should probably just get them replaced (or do it yourself). And like I said, if there is any doubt about whether the timing belt is more than 60,000 miles old, it probably needs to be replaced. NOW. It costs a few hundred dollars, but a new engine costs even more.

Old 06-19-2007, 03:58 PM

I talked to some car guys at work and they said the same thing you did, so im guessing thats probably it. I just dropped it of at the shop down the street from me and i know he dose good work. I would rather have sombody do it that know what there doing, as for me to try and mess somthing up.
I had the car worked on a couple of week ago,becasue i had a blown head gasket and i had taken it to the dealer, and i know for a fact they had put new belts on so im guessing they are loose like you said.
Thank for the help mark.

Old 06-19-2007, 06:26 PM
Super Moderator

Sounds good.

Old 12-21-2011, 01:46 AM

Hey,
I also am a Hyundai elantra 2002 owner.
I also have the same problem with my power steering making a squeaking sound when I turn the wheel all the way to the left or right. On cold starts its worse, I live in Chicago so the weather here gets cold.
I brought the car at 75,000 miles so I have no idea if the timing belt has been changed or no.
the belts are looking new to me and I have used belt dressing just to see if the sound goes away, no luck, but a good thing to use for the live of the belts.

I want to know how much it cost you to get your power steering noise fix.
How much did it cost for the timing belt to be replaced.

Old 12-23-2011, 05:14 PM
Default Tighten alternator belt to stop squealing in P/S belt

okay, I just fixed this 10 minutes ago in my 03 Elantra. To stop the P/S belt squealing (most notable in cold weather), you need to tighten the alternator belt. There is 1 bolt above the alternator, and 1 below (have to go under the car). Loosen them, then move the alternator by tightening the tensioner bolt (on top of alternator). tighten up both bolts again and voila...no more squealing.

Old 02-18-2012, 02:58 PM
Thumbs up power steering belt noise fixed

2009 accent. First check is there is still room for belt adj! OMG! I had my timing belt replaced and the regular belts changed and then the power steering belt keep squealing esp in the am when cold(wintertime and when turning the wheel lock to lock anytime). The mechanic tried to tighten but did not notice that the adjustment was at it's max. I did. I went to hyundai and got the orig belt and I just finished having them replace it. I had then give me back the old belt and sure enough it was too damn big!! It was the right belt in their computer system but the wrong one for the car! sooo simple but it took some time to get to the bottom of it. The new belt has lots of adj room left as it should and the problem is solved. either pep boys has the wrong belt in their system or the after market belts are the wrong size

Old 10-08-2012, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by finess_08
okay, I just fixed this 10 minutes ago in my 03 Elantra. To stop the P/S belt squealing (most notable in cold weather), you need to tighten the alternator belt. There is 1 bolt above the alternator, and 1 below (have to go under the car). Loosen them, then move the alternator by tightening the tensioner bolt (on top of alternator). tighten up both bolts again and voila...no more squealing.
Thank you...I have been struggling for 2 weeks on my daughters 2002 Elantra. I finally did the alternator and wow...no more screeching...awesome..thanks again. hopefully someone else can use this...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: power steering noise