Hyundai Elantra While not much larger than the accent, the Elantra offers similar room, but a sportier look and feel, as well as more power.

power steering noise

Old 02-12-2013, 07:40 AM

06 Hyundai Elantra, replaced power steering pump, replaced belts, power steering pully stops turning when you turn the wheel left or right, and it squeals. Any ideas how to get the squealing to stop?

Old 02-12-2013, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by Brandon Hovland
06 Hyundai Elantra, replaced power steering pump, replaced belts, power steering pully stops turning when you turn the wheel left or right, and it squeals. Any ideas how to get the squealing to stop?
P.S. I was also wondering how, if you tighten your alternator belt, why does that stop the power steering squealing???

Old 11-19-2014, 09:23 PM

Mine had the same problem. I read a lot about it and here what you should do. The noise is like slipping belt and the steering is hard at low RPM when cold. Sometimes the power steering pulley stop turning. HERE WHAT I HAVE DONE
FIRST: change the oïl. remove the reservoir, clean it, spray varsol and wash it as much as I can to clean the filter Inside the reservoir RESULT, no change i do it again, as the oïl is not clean the first time.
SECOND I replace belts. I tight the belt, remember the alternator belt drive the power steering belt, so tight both belt. yes yes the alternator pulleey drive the power steering pump yes yes
THIRD if still noise then you need to check the releif valve Inside the pump. Under the high pressure hose, there is a fitting. Remove the high pressurre hose at the pump. Remove the fitting. Under the fitting there is a plunger followed by a spring. Just pull out the plunger and sand outside diameter of the plunger with a sand paper 120 grid. Also at the fitting, there is a hole where the plunger goes in. This hole size control the flow. Drill this hole one size larger. Reassemble everythig
I does that to my car and it run like it never been. Make sure you do not lost the O ring under the low pressure hose fitting at the pump. You might have to remode the low pressure hose at the pump to have acces to this fitting. THIS SOLVE MY PROBLEM

Old 03-05-2016, 03:12 PM
Default Squeaky power steering belt on 04 elantra GT

Originally Posted by finess_08
okay, I just fixed this 10 minutes ago in my 03 Elantra. To stop the P/S belt squealing (most notable in cold weather), you need to tighten the alternator belt. There is 1 bolt above the alternator, and 1 below (have to go under the car). Loosen them, then move the alternator by tightening the tensioner bolt (on top of alternator). tighten up both bolts again and voila...no more squealing.
Well Isnt that a monkeys uncle,
I've been chasing that SOB squeaky belt all around the mulberry bush on my daughters 04 elantra GT for about 2 weeks .
I changed the belts,
changed the P.S. pump,
Flushed the P.S. System.....
Still Squealing...

VOILA is right......
I tightened that damn tensioner bolt a little more on that alternator and I swear, I think I could hear a fly fart in the car now....

Thank you sir for the advise...
Totally worked