Hyundai Elantra While not much larger than the accent, the Elantra offers similar room, but a sportier look and feel, as well as more power.

Push button ignition and a dead battery.

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 10:41 AM
Default Push button ignition and a dead battery.

I have a 2011 hyundai elantra with push button ignition. I left my keys in the car overnight and then the car wouldn't start this morning. I was able to charge the battery to get it started, but I'm wondering if leaving the keys in it overnight caused the battery to drain or if that was just a coincidence?

Old 10-13-2011, 07:32 AM

It is possible but not likely. I work for CSXT, we ship cars and I unload them at location from the railcars and they pull a fuse in the dash during shipping to disable the push start. But at the same time when we bay the cars we don't pull the fuse back out and leave the keys in and they are fine when they get tricked out. It may have been an already weak battery and the small drain of the scanner detecting the key in the car may have drained it a just a bit too much.

Old 10-20-2011, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by bcouser
It is possible but not likely. I work for CSXT, we ship cars and I unload them at location from the railcars and they pull a fuse in the dash during shipping to disable the push start. But at the same time when we bay the cars we don't pull the fuse back out and leave the keys in and they are fine when they get tricked out. It may have been an already weak battery and the small drain of the scanner detecting the key in the car may have drained it a just a bit too much.
I bet Hyundai does not warranty that battery either. Seems as if their comprehensive new car warranty is really not what it appeared to be. I found out after we purchased our car, that the stock electronics including navigation, CD and radio are NOT covered. I sure hope no one has issues with the display or anything in the dash.
I am hoping this is not true. But Hyundai of Greer said it was true.

Old 10-20-2011, 12:45 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by jvaldes
I bet Hyundai does not warranty that battery either. Seems as if their comprehensive new car warranty is really not what it appeared to be. I found out after we purchased our car, that the stock electronics including navigation, CD and radio are NOT covered.
You really need to read and do more research. The stock electronics including navigation, CD and radio are covered for 3 years or 36,000 miles.

Hyundai Assurance | America's Best Warranty

America's Best Warranty

10-YEAR / 100,000-MILE POWERTRAIN PROTECTION

Covers repair or replacement of powertrain components (i.e., selected engine and transmission/transaxle components), originally manufactured or installed by Hyundai that are defective in material or factory workmanship, under normal use and maintenance. Coverage applies to original owner only, effective with 2004 model year and newer model year vehicles. On 1999

- 2003 model years, coverage applies to original owner and immediate family members (i.e., wife, husband, daughter, son, stepdaughter, stepson).

Second and/or subsequent owners have powertrain components coverage under the 5-Year / 60,000-Mile New Vehicle Limited Warranty. Excludes coverage for vehicles in commercial use (i.e., taxi, route delivery, delivery service, rental, etc.).

5-YEAR / 60,000-MILE NEW VEHICLE LIMITED WARRANTY

Covers repair or replacement of any component manufactured or originally installed by Hyundai that is defective in material or factory workmanship, under normal use and maintenance.

The following components are covered for time and mileage limits indicated:
  • Radio and audio systems (i.e., radio, compact disc player, DVD player, navigation system, and Bluetooth®): 3 years / 36,000 miles
  • Paint: 3 years / 36,000 miles
  • Battery: 3 years / unlimited miles (100% covered 2 years / unlimited miles; after 2 years and within 3 years, 25% cost of battery and 100% labor cost covered)
  • Air conditioner refrigerant charge: 1 year / unlimited miles
  • Adjustments: 1 year / 12,000 miles
  • Wear items: 1 year / 12,000 miles (e.g., belts, brake pads and linings, clutch linings, filters, wiper blades, bulbs, fuses)
7-YEAR / UNLIMITED MILES ANTI-PERFORATION WARRANTY

Covers 7 years / unlimited miles starting with 2005 model year (previously 5 years / 100,000 miles for 2004 and prior model years).

Covers perforation (rust hole through the body panel from inside to outside) corrosion of original Hyundai body sheet metal due to defects in material or factory workmanship, under normal use and maintenance.

Excludes surface corrosion.

5-YEAR / UNLIMITED MILES 24-HOUR ROADSIDE ASSISTANCE

Covers vehicle, regardless if current owner is original or subsequent owner.

Includes the following roadside amenities:
  • Towing for inoperable disablements, including accidents
  • Battery jump starts
  • Change flat tire
  • Lock-out
  • Out of gas
  • Trip interruption
Disclaimer: Hyundai Motor America reserves the right to limit services or reimbursement to any owner or driver when, in Hyundai Motor America's judgment, the Claims are excessive in nature, frequency, or type of occurrence.

Hyundai Roadside Assistance Services are provided through Cross Country Motor Club, Inc., Medford, MA 02155, except in Alaska, California, Hawaii, Oregon, Wisconsin, and Wyoming, where services are provided through Cross Country Motor Club of California, Inc., Medford, MA 02155.

Hyundai Motor America makes no guarantee or warranty regarding Cross Country Motor Club, Inc.'s or Cross Country Motor Club of California, Inc.'s service and is not liable for the actions of its employees or subcontractors.

Exclusions: Roadside Assistance is NOT A WARRANTY. For a description of the vehicle warranty covering your Hyundai, see the Hyundai New Vehicle Limited Warranty section of the Owner's Handbook. Roadside Assistance is a limited service, provided to you to help minimize any unforeseen vehicle operation inconvenience.

The Hyundai Roadside Assistance Program does not include reimbursement for any costs/charges for repairs, parts, labor, property loss, or any other expense incurred as a result of accident/collision, vehicle abuse, racing, vandalism, or other items not covered by the Hyundai New Vehicle Limited Warranty. Also excluded are services for snow tires, repair to studs, mounting or demounting of snow chains, and any fines, fees, or taxes associated with impound towing as a result of any actual or alleged violation of any law or regulation.

Off-roading is not covered. To receive service, the vehicle must be accessible from a publicly maintained road.

12-MONTH / 12,000-MILE REPLACEMENT PARTS AND ACCESSORY LIMITED WARRANTY

Covers repair or replacement of any Hyundai Genuine Replacement Parts or Accessory supplied by Hyundai that is defective in material or factory workmanship, under normal use and maintenance.

Genuine Hyundai Parts or Accessories supplied by Hyundai and purchased from an authorized Hyundai Dealer, but not installed by an authorized Hyundai Dealer, are covered for 12 months / unlimited miles.

Accessories installed on a vehicle at the time of or prior to the vehicle's date of first use are covered under the 5-Year / 60,000-Mile New Vehicle Limited Warranty.

Accessories installed after the vehicle's date of first use are covered for 12 months / 12,000 miles.

8-YEAR / 80,000-MILE FEDERAL EMISSION AND PERFORMANCE WARRANTY

Covers repair or replacement of the following original Hyundai major emissions control components that cause the vehicle to fail to conform to an applicable EPA-approved inspection/maintenance program:
  • Catalytic Converter
  • Engine Control Module
  • Onboard Emissions Diagnostic Device (OBD-II)
Other EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) emissions warranty parts are covered under the 5-Year / 60,000-Mile New Vehicle Limited Warranty.

7-YEAR / 70,000-MILE CALIFORNIA EMISSION CONTROL SYSTEMS WARRANTY

Applies to vehicles manufactured to California specifications, which are distributed by Hyundai Motor America and registered in the states of California, Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, or Vermont.

Covers repair or replacement of specific original Hyundai emissions components (specific covered emissions components vary by model).

California Emissions Control Systems Warranty is in addition to Federal Emissions Defect & Performance Warranty.

Other California Emissions Control Systems Warranty emissions warranty parts are covered under the 5-Year / 60,000-Mile New Vehicle Limited Warranty.